Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil in my air cleaner??????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 08:44 PM
wooosaa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in my air cleaner??????????

is that normal?&nbsp\\; I have a 95 inch screamin eagle motor with what I will assume is a stage 1 air cleaner...took the element off and there is oil inside of the filter...is this normal?&nbsp\\; Also looks like the filter element was never oiled....it looks like a cotton gauze type k and n...cant find and hd or k and n part numbers....do I need to oil it or jst wash it out and run it dry?&nbsp\\; Thanks
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: oil in my air cleaner??????????

If its K&amp\\;N it needs oil but there are non oiled filters that look the same as a K&amp\\;N. Might want to take it to an independent shop and ask their opinion on what you have. The oil in the filter is pretty normal. The breathers for the heads dump into the filter so after high revs or hard running you will get some oil. Keep your oil level correct because overfilling will dump excess oil into the filter through the breathers. Hope this helps.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:57 PM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

Oil in the air filter housing is normal...if it's the round filter, replace the paper element with a K&amp\\;N...trust me&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 07-01-2008, 09:58 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

How much oil? Just a sweat? It could be minor engine blow-by, I wouldn't bother unless it is dripping excessively. Check your oil level, leave it between full and low marks.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:12 PM
wooosaa
Cruiser

it was just a couple drops and I was hammering on it earlier....does not have a paper elemet...for sure a cotton gauze element...I guess I will err on the side of caution and put a little oil on it....it does have the bar and shield on it so Im pretty sure its a harley part...just not sure if it is supposed to be a dry or oiled element....whatever cameon a 04 screamine eagle deuce....thanks for the help

Old 07-01-2008, 11:47 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Try this, remove the air filter, run the engine at operating temperature, keep an eye on the 2 breather holes, tell me what you see, is the oil pissing out? Have you checked the oil level? If you fill it up to the top mark, most likely the problem.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:43 AM
white01ss
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this happen on my Road King when I got back from sturgis a couple years ago.&nbsp\\; I had a K&amp\\;N and it was dripping oil from the filter from time to time.&nbsp\\; I contacted a local shop, and they said it is normal, and just to clean the K&amp\\;N with the cleaning kit and re-oil the filter.&nbsp\\; I followed these steps and havn't had an issue since.&nbsp\\; My filter was DIRTY when i pulled it off to clean, so I don't know why it does that....
&nbsp\\;
just my .02