Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tmax fitting into Rocker?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:23 PM
kiteman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tmax fitting into Rocker?

Has anyone actually fitted a Thundermax and Auto-tune module into a RockerC? Did you have any major issues getting the old ECM out and fitting the new one? Help appreciated.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:00 AM
s.cravens
Novice

Not sure about the Rocker but my FXSTC was very easy to get at the ECM. Biggest challenge was routing the wires for the O2 sensors but not a big deal. You will love the TMax. Auto Tune is the best and you may want to go the next step and get the TMax Digital Speedometer. It will show you everything from horse power, air/fuel mix,tach, alarms etc....to what you want for dinner! You should not have any problems. Good luck.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Tmax only takes up a little more room than your stock ECU... I don't think you would have an issue...
I have an XBones and had no issues
I'm with s.cravens... the hardest part was routing the wires for the 02 sensors... and that was pretty darn easy!
I also have a Tmax speedo... it's sitting in the tool box in the garage... I ran it for a few weeks and then put the stocker back on.... it just did not look right on my XBones

Old 08-28-2008, 10:57 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure if they have changed the long bolts that hold the ECM on with on a Rocker. But if they are using the same setup they did on my Custom, and the odds are they did. You might want to pull one of the nuts off and take it to the local hardware or Home Despot and get 4 new ones with lock washers and 4 aluminum or nylon sleeve spacers to fit. About 1" long should do fine.

The body of the TMax is larger (slightly) than the stock ECM and will only allow you to get one or two of the original nuts back on because of their integral washer configuration.
When you put the TMax in place you can use the spacers, cut down if needed, to take up all that extra bolt length and put the new lock washer and nut on with a dab of Lock-tite to keep it solidly mounted.

Have fun, your going to like the TMax w/Autotune a lot. Makes the bike run much better, tuning a lot easier and you don't need to spend money on a Dyno every time you change something.

Like they said routing the O2 sensor wires is the hardest part, stupid me I didn't read the directions first and routed them the way I though they should go, over the top under the tank and wound up having to deal with extra cable under the seat. Maybe next winter if I get the tins repainted I'll redo them the right way.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:25 PM
MartyF
Cruiser

Kiteman,
I do have a Thundermax w/Autotune in my RockerC. The shop that did the installation said it required a different installation than other Softail models (No big surprise there). They said all they had to do was offset it to the side of the stock ECM mount. I would highly recommend the ThunderMax. I've made some exhaust changes (with the baffles) since I've had it and it learns and fine tunes itself as you go. Also, it fine tunes with the removal or addition of the rain-sock on my H-D S E A/C., since that slightly changes the air flow.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:30 PM
So What
4th Gear

how much does a Tmax w/auto tune cost?

Old 08-28-2008, 05:57 PM
puckthis
Advanced

about $800. very easy to use and worth every penny

Old 08-28-2008, 07:08 PM
So What
4th Gear

dang it, should of held off on buying the SERT...

Old 08-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a used one for sale on V Twin for $400....
If it includes everything it's a great deal

Old 08-30-2008, 04:15 AM
kiteman
Cruiser
Default My Own Question Answered

My new bike has been re-generated thanks to my faithful mechanic! Big difference to ECM mounting in all other bikes!! The Rocker ECM is way UNDER and behind the battery. You need to remove the battery, the rear wheel, the rear guard etc to get at all the necessary bolts. You could alternatively drain and remove the oil tank (unlikely!).

I wasn't present when this was all done or I would have taken pics!!!

The Tmax ECM was moved sideways to facilitate the other modules and bits of housing were removed. Not much spare room in there. Same common problem as other models with the PC cable at right angles to the ECM when it would be better with a "right-angled" plug or a socket in the side of the ECM. There was just enough space to leave the cable mounted permanently with a little silastic to avoid moisture getting in. Fitting the 02 sensors was no problem at all.

My turn came with the laptop and software. This was pretty much a breeze! The bike started and ran perfectly just like it was meant to! I can't honestly compare the before and after performance as I didn't have the Big Radius fitted before and I believe that sound makes a lot of difference to judgement. It's certainly loud!!! I would be happier if I could drop the volume by 10% without affecting the performance. On my first ride today I got a bike cop right next to me. I was very gentle on the throttle!

Thanks for all your comments guys!!!