Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with vin please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 06:18 PM
thatirishguy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with vin please!

got a 95 softail, need to get a title from a title service, also need a carfax vin check, but i cannot find the vin on this thing! ive seen pictures on the net where the vin is, one was under triple tree, the other was on the right side steering neck. the sticker on the down tube is gone. the block stamp is intact but i can't run a check on that alone. nothing's been ground off, i just can't find it. anyone with a 95 fxstc that could point me in the right direction?

thanks in advance fellas

joe

'i don't mean to sound cold or insensitive... but i am, so that's the way it comes out.' - bill hicks

Old 09-15-2008, 07:47 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

might be an aftermarket frame? Where did you get the bike? If it's an AFP or custom build, you might have to go back to the original builder. There are a lot of aftermarket softail frames. If the VIN isnm't where it's supposed to be, you can look for other stampings that may be almost anywhere.

Bikes haven't been titled to the engines since 1969. Since then, they've been titled to the frame. So, you can put a revtech into a harley frame and it's a Harley. But if you put a Harley engine into a revtech frame, it's now afp.

As I said, find the builder, or see if the bike has ever been registered before. If you know the year and model of the bike the engine came out of, it's easy to reconstruct the vin. Then you can run it here.

https://www.nicb.org/cps/rde/xchg/ni.../vincheck.html

Hope this helps.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:39 PM
NCCPainter
2nd Gear

If you cant find a vin on the spots you have looked then its not an HD, unless it's had the frame smoothed and painted/powdercoated. If its an after market frame they usaully stamp them between the down tubes were the front lower motor mount is. You might need some sand paper to sand the paint down. Good Luck

Old 09-16-2008, 08:14 PM
thatirishguy
2nd Gear

thanks for the link stretchman, i was looking for just that. i still can't find it anywhere, both tanks are off, throttle cables moved out of the way, wiped everthing down, got a shop light in there and i see NOTHING. and this is my first harley and my second bike but i would swear this frame is stock as it gets. i'll call harley with the block number and transmission number maybe they can cross reference them for a vin i can run a check on. and i guess i'll have to buy a new frame. any suggestions on frame builders? i've got a j&p catalog here at the house.

joe

yes, and i tired reconstructing the vin, which gave me 88 possibilities PER place of manufacturing i.e. ---> 4x88= 352 possible vins. and to answer your other question i got it from a guy who got it from a guy, STUPID, i know.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

any identifying markings at all? Maybe an aftermarket shop can help.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:49 PM
bigoscycles
Cruiser

Right side of the frame on the neck is where it should be at. Custom or HD frame they are all supposed to be there. If it's a HD frame it should start of 1HD.