Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drilling out baffle on stock exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 03:22 PM
cdnichols
Default Drilling out baffle on stock exhaust

I have a 2007 Softail Standard and I'd like to get a bit more volume out of these pipes. I have a friend who drilled out a 1/4 inch hole through the baffle of his 05 Dyna and it seems to have the desired effect on his bike.

I'm a bit hesitant as I thought that messing with the stock exhaust might cause some tuning or computer issues on the newer bikes. Does anyone have any wisdom/caveats to pass on regarding this procedure?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:29 PM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

and how much did that bike cost ya?...do it right and get a real set of slip-ons, hi flo a/c and a pc3

Old 09-29-2008, 04:38 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

as long as you don't mess the the air cleaner you'll be good. are you looking for sound or performance? as far as performance it won't really help until you change the air cleaner and buy a tuner, but for sound it'll help.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This from the DIY cheep mod section.

05-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Citoriplus

RE: DIY Cheap mods
Here's avery easy and cheap way to get a much more"Harley" like sound a bike should have had from the factory.
There is no needto have the Delphi FI system remapped if youleave the intake alone.I spent under $5 for the parts I used to do it right.

Here's the tools I used to take it 'out';

I didn't have a hole saw that would fit all the way down to the plate so I used a hammer and screwdriver, unfortunatly it leaves a bunch of ragged edges. So I came upwith these parts, under $5 at the local Lowes plus a 21mm socket to clean things up.
1 piece of 1/2" X 3' long threaded rod, three nuts to fit and four washers.

Put two nuts, the socket, and a lock washer together like this at one end.

As the socket is certain to get jammed in there when you hammer it through, don't let it go in too far. It only has to go in about 1/2 to 3/4" to work. If you go in too far you might have trouble getting it out without removing the muffler from the bike.

Anyway you can use the rest of the washers and the last nut to prevent it from going in too far, and as a bonus it can be used to "jack" the piece back out. Cause you will almost certainly not be able to pull it out by hand.

Don't expect it to sould like its got a set of Rush slip on's w/2" baffles, or a set of Big Radius pipes. But if you like the stock looks but not the sound or your just short funds for new pipes its acheap way to improve what you got.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:58 AM
evil_monster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Knock out the baffles. I measured the inside diameter...2 3/4 inches. Couldn't find reducers..so went to a muffler shop and had them cut two 4 inch pieces of 2 1/4 inch pipe. Expanded one end 2 inches in depth..to 2 3/4 inches..checked each one for a TIGHT fit into the pipe exit end. (not header end) Then...went to Advance Auto and bought two other reduders that would fit over the 2 1/4 inch end... First ..insert the cut and expended fitting..larger end first..smaller end facing the exhaust opening... Using a block of wood...pound it as far as you can. Second...put the reducer over that...it should have been checked for a PROPER (pronounced TIGHT) fit.. POUND it on..it will connect to the other. Purpose...speed up the exhaust gasses as they exit..produce some backpressure The smaller opening at the exhaust end will prevent reversion. In other words as the throttle is released...gasses try to return to the valves...some will do so no matter what. This setup produces a loud..throaty sound..while giving some backpressure and stopping the rattle upon decel (reversion) Cost $16 and a free block of wood..which promptly was retired (pronounced SHREDDED) upon completion. Oh yea..I used a 24 ounce framing hammer to "gently persuade" it into place

Old 03-12-2009, 08:45 PM
nowbmw
Cruiser

Drill em, will sound better and wont hurt anything.

Brent

Old 03-12-2009, 09:51 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

And someday when you need to get your bike thru inspection you're be buying a new set of stock mufflers

Old 03-12-2009, 11:04 PM
stef
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nowbmw
Drill em, will sound better and wont hurt anything.

Brent
Agree!

I used 3/4" hole saw. Also bought a complete, take-off exhaust system
(e-Bay, $10 +shipping) in case I ever have to go back to stock.

-stef

Old 03-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Screw it take off the pipes and run straight headers.....Nice deep loud roar, then no engine...Like 2008FLP said do it right...

Old 03-13-2009, 02:37 AM
rhj529
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I punched a hole in the baffles on my 07 softail with no problems. It will make it a bit louder but to really get the sound you are looking for you will need an aftermarket slip-on or full exhaust and upgraded intake and efi. I shopped ebay for my parts and saved a bunch.

I want to stress the aftermarket part! A guy I work with has the same bike I have. He picked up a set of SE slip-ons and was a little taken back when my punched pipes sounded better than his upgraded pipes. Also if you are wondering about the difference in the sound of a pipe upgrade let me tell you it is like night and day. I put a set of v&h big shots on a couple of days ago and all I can say is wow. I wish I had video of my wife opening the garage door when I fired it up!

Quick Reply: Drilling out baffle on stock exhaust