Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just so I'm clear here - I can install a V&H exhaust and not do the PCIII or AirFlow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:23 AM
hellfish
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just so I'm clear here - I can install a V&H exhaust and not do the PCIII or AirFlow?

It is my understanding that I can purchase the Vance and Hines big shots staggered, bolt them on and the bike is good to go. I then (later on) can purchase a high air flow and PCIII and complete the full stage 1. Is this correct? If so, will the bike run just fine with the exhaust only on it with no fuel adjustments?

Old 10-30-2008, 10:24 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That's what they say. I would do it all at once, but you can do it like that and you should be fine.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:27 AM
07fat_boy
Cruiser

Short answer is maybe.....it all really depends on the bike. Some can take full exhaust systems without any mods and some can't. You won't know until it's done. It should run regardless, but it may not run well.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:44 AM
hellfish
Tourer

The bike would be a 09 Fatboy. So there's no way of knowing before I pop them on? Has avyone else done this or does everyone always do full stage 1 at once?

Old 10-30-2008, 10:55 AM
07fat_boy
Cruiser

Unfortunately, there's no way to know for sure since there are so many variables, however I'm of the inclination that you'll definitely be running leaner than stock....exactly how lean, and whether or not it's too lean, is a different story. That being said, I just put slip-ons on my bike and didn't do anything else. Slip-ons are a far cry from a full exhaust system, and my bike was probably fine. However, I wound up installing a set of XiEDs from Nightrider.com and I'm happy with the results. That's not to say that's what you need to do, that's just what I did.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:02 AM
hellfish
Tourer

Ok cool, thanks for the feedback! I'll know soon enough, I look forward to tinkering with it!

Old 10-30-2008, 11:14 AM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Its almost a $20k gamble. If you can afford to chance running the bike lean and damaging it, go for it. If not, be patient and do it the right way.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:19 AM
hellfish
Tourer

Yeah, I agree I think I'll just buy one part at a time as I'm able to do it all at once. I've waited this long, I dont get the Bike until end of Nov ...so might as well as enjoy it (get used to it) then bump it up later. Will give me something to look forward to!

Old 10-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes... you can...
I personally would do a plug check every-so-often to make sure everything is copacetic...

Old 10-30-2008, 11:33 AM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hellfish
Yeah, I agree I think I'll just buy one part at a time as I'm able to do it all at once. I've waited this long, I dont get the Bike until end of Nov ...so might as well as enjoy it (get used to it) then bump it up later. Will give me something to look forward to!
good call. my brand new bike sat in the garage for over a month (of perfect riding weather) waiting to get tuned after installing exhaust (and then SE breather). Better safe than sorry.

Quick Reply: Just so I'm clear here - I can install a V&H exhaust and not do the PCIII or AirFlow?