Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible fuel pump problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:10 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Possible fuel pump problem

Background, 06 Fatboy EFI 20K miles, about 300 miles ago I noticed when I hit the run/ off switch on my bike the fuel pump started to make a hissing sound (like there was a hole in the fuel line) well after taking the cap off and listening to the pump after it pressurized the fuel lines, I hear no leaking or spray in the tank. I also pulled the pump assembly out of the tank and hit the run/off switch and could observe no leaks. About this same time, the bike now takes a few more cranks to turn over. It always does turn over, but not as quickly as before. Ive checked and cleaned the battery terminals to make sure they are clean and tight, its also got a good charge. Plugs are new (4k miles old) wires are good and tight. The bike runs well most of the time, but every now and then when I come to a stop and pull in the clutch, it will idle really slow, like its about to die for a minuet or 2 and then the idle speed will pick back up and run just fine. Anyone got any ideas?

Old 10-30-2008, 10:39 PM
utexasrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the relay. my nightster with efi had corroded relays after water got in during a rain ride. the relay was telling the fuel pump to pump fuel even though it was off and you can hear the hissing sound. unfortunately, it did it all night in my garage and sucked the battery dry. i replaced the battery and it drained it again. i took it to the shop and they had a recall on the relay corroding.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing I would do is pull the whole fuel pump unit(top plate, fuel pump, sending unit, and float) out of the tank. Let it air dry for a day or so, then remove the actual fuel pump. Pack up the rest of the unit and send it to me. I will put it in my new tank and then be able to use my tins..

Sorry Chris....I just couldn't help it. I really have no clue about your problem. I just wish someone made a conversion plate for EFI tanks to be used on carded bikes.

Good Luck!