Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DNA wheels on a Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 09:17 AM
DeluxeRider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DNA wheels on a Deluxe

I recently purchased a set of DNA wheels on ebay from a merchant called Mototeks. They are 16x3.5 black pc'd with 60 spoke (stainless). They state the wheels are built to your application. Mine is a 2007 Deluxe. When I recieved the wheels, both had the wrong size bearings in them. Not a big deal, Mototeks shipped me out the correct bearings and spacers. The rear wheel bolted right in with factory spacers. The front however won't. The right spacer seems to be fine. The left (rotor side) is way too long.

I'm looking for any opinions about this. My local HD dealer says that every aftermarket wheel they've ever done has bolted in with the factory spacers. This is my first set of aftermarket wheels, so I'm a little green. Is it normal to have to make custom spacers for wheels advertised to fit stock bikes? Everything else on the front end is stock with the exception of being lowered. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with this specifically with DNA wheels? Could they have built the wheel with the wrong hub?

Also, I'm running Avon Gangster tires front and rear. On the front, tire to fender clearance seems close. What's an exceptable gap between the side of the tire and the fender?

Old 10-07-2009, 10:42 AM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a DNA up front and had to have new spacers put in. Make sure to use correct size spacers. As your calipers may rub against your rotors. How do i know????..Not good...

Old 10-07-2009, 10:48 AM
DeluxeRider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
I have a DNA up front and had to have new spacers put in. Make sure to use correct size spacers. As your calipers may rub against your rotors. How do i know????..Not good...
How'd you end up determining the correct size? Trial and error? I'm more concerned about "pinching" my fork lowers too much and screwing up my front end.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:00 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I am interested to follow up on this topic, these guys on ebay (mototek) are excactly the ones I am looking at their wheels for a year now, just did not have enough info to buy, their prices are unbeatable though !

+1 on be careful, I put my wheels the wrong way (my bad) and almost killed myself doing it ..

Old 10-07-2009, 02:10 PM
netvampire
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got mine through them guys as well, also a 2007 deluxe.But actually rung there distributer which i thing were mean city cycles..annoyed the sh#$%@t at of them with multiple phone calls and questions before i purchased.Just to let them no of all the fitment issues i had been reading about.and was told they would fit no problem,the oem spacers would have to be modified a little. and if not i would be sent various spacer packs to compensate.Well my dealer fitted them said no issues apart from shaving the OEM spacers a little. So they were right on the money.But i still do feel a little nervous about these wheels. incase of something happening down the track.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:01 PM
DeluxeRider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by netvampire
I got mine through them guys as well, also a 2007 deluxe.But actually rung there distributer which i thing were mean city cycles..annoyed the sh#$%@t at of them with multiple phone calls and questions before i purchased.Just to let them no of all the fitment issues i had been reading about.and was told they would fit no problem,the oem spacers would have to be modified a little. and if not i would be sent various spacer packs to compensate.Well my dealer fitted them said no issues apart from shaving the OEM spacers a little. So they were right on the money.But i still do feel a little nervous about these wheels. incase of something happening down the track.
Net, your wheels look exactly like the ones I got. I still have not got mine fit up properly yet. I just had some spacers made up with what I thought were the size I needed, but I'm questioning the way the tire (Avon gangster) looks in the fender. I've got a much smaller gap in the left side compared to the right. I've read on here before about this being the case (even with the stock wheel). Do you also have a smaller gap between the tire and fender on the left (rotor) side on your bike?

Old 11-09-2009, 06:41 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

loosen your fender struts and adjust fender, then retighten. Very common problem with Deluxes. Mine was off also. But better now after adjustment. Nice tires by the way "Avon Gangsters" post them pics.

Last edited by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe; 11-09-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:38 AM
DeluxeRider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
loosen your fender struts and adjust fender, then retighten. Very common problem with Deluxes. Mine was off also. But better now after adjustment. Nice tires by the way "Avon Gangsters" post them pics.
BLKnCHRME, I wasn't real clear in my post. It's the front wheel I'm having problems with. Smaller gap on the left side between the tire and fender. Heard it's common, just wanted to verify with people here. I'm running 16x3.5 wheels w/ the Gangsters (front and rear). So they are a little wider than stock. The rear wheel bolted right in w/ stock spacers no issues everything lines up nice. I'm just strugglin' getting the front to look right. The hub on the new, DNA front wheel is wider than stock, so I had to make new spacers. The wheel spins nice with little brake pad drag, but I'm concerned about the gap to the fender?