Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Wheels for Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 08:52 AM
Maltesefalcon
Cruiser
Received 124 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Custom Wheels for Deluxe

I am doing some research on Fat spokes custom wheels because I'll be taking the plunge soon for my 08 Deluxe. I'm looking at the 21x3.5 front and 16.3.5 rear. I have read a lot of threads on here about Sinister, DNA and Ride Wright wheels. I've seen old threads that almost everyone that ordered DNA wheels had a problem but I haven't seen anything on them lately. I'll like to know if anyone has had any problems with the wheels or from where they ordered. It is a expensive purchase so I'll like to get as much info as possible. Thanks.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:13 AM
racerkvn
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I have the DNA Mammoths on mine (21x3 & 18x4.25) and bought them through KC International. I will NEVER buy another item from KC International that isn't currently in stock because of the run around a pure lack of communication from them. My rear wheel had the sealant inside the wheel break and leaked air on the first ride. Tire went down in a matter of seconds from leaking around 10 spokes. I was already expecting to put a tube in them (I expect ALL spoke wheels to need a tube no matter what everybody else's experiences are or who made the wheels) so I treated it as a lesson RE-learned and put a tube in it like I should've done to start with. And it for sure wasn't worth the hassle to send it back after waiting several months to get them. With that being said, I love the wheels and would most definitely buy them again. I put a tube in the rear wheel and has been 8000 miles and two tires since. The front does not have a tube in it and it has never leaked.

I have a buddy with Ride Wrights and they needed tubes as well... so the more you spend doesn't mean you get a far superior product. It would have pissed me off royally had I bought Ride Wrights or Sinisters and had to put a tube in them...

Old 11-18-2016, 06:20 PM
Sharkenator
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I have had dna wheels on my deluxe now for 3 years with no problems whatsoever. I have the exact sizes and style that you want. I bought them from a local indy and he had them for me within 2 days. They sell their stuff on ebay also- american classic motors. I have heard some bad reports about dna wheels but I guess I was fortunate. Good luck! Btw the wheels look awesome on a deluxe!

Old 11-18-2016, 07:10 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 358 Posts

I just bought some wheels and tires from HogPro...fantastic outfit to buy from. Top notch customer service and advice. They sell Sinister wheels btw.

Last edited by HD_fan; 11-18-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:01 PM
jtarter
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Bought my DNA Mammoth spokes from Choppershop1 on Ebay. His name is Mark, he is a great guy and gets you what you want fast. He is in California, and goes to DNA's shop daily.
I haven't had one problem with my wheels. Been on the Deluxe for almost 2 years. I am not running tubes and haven't had a leak yet. I do however, check tire pressure before every ride. Probably should have went with tubes, just for the safety factor.
The problems I have heard of from DNA are mostly with the powder coated wheels.

Good luck with your search for new wheels.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:33 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Coming from someone who sells/installs wheels at my shop, you get what you pay for...

Old 11-20-2016, 08:48 AM
Ridewright Wheels
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We've learned that many buy spoke wheels and since the tire says "tubeless", they run the tire without a tube, but forgot to order the spoke wheels sealed for tubeless operation. It is an added process to seal the wheels. Some want it, others do not. It's a matter of preference, of course.

The following users liked this post:
Bassmann50 (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 07:21 PM
Johnny Goodlife
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Installed some fat spokes for a friend today. Everything went smooth until we needed a spacer for the rear pulley. Make sure you speak to your dealer if you need one or not.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:31 PM
Maltesefalcon
Cruiser
Received 124 Likes on 48 Posts

Well just got of the phone with Rob from Hogpro and I ordered my Sinister wheels. Chrome rims and nipples with black spokes. Cant wait for them to arrive and installing them on my Deluxe.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:32 PM
dsalazar63
Cruiser
Received 69 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Maltesefalcon
Well just got of the phone with Rob from Hogpro and I ordered my Sinister wheels. Chrome rims and nipples with black spokes. Cant wait for them to arrive and installing them on my Deluxe.
Post pics.....we'd love to see.

Quick Reply: Custom Wheels for Deluxe