Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:43 AM
Fatburger
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn. When I'm selling parts on here I'm not jumping through hoops to ensure fitment. Call or email the freaking manufacturer to find out if it fits. Ain't doing your research for you. How the hell would I know if a set of barebacks I had on my bike fit a freakin 2000 heritage. "Measure the bolts for me" Uh yeah. I'll do that. You want me to powder coat them too? How bout a little Mother's metal polish. Gift wrap?

Last edited by Fatburger; 04-23-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:03 AM
JRuss
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

huh?

I'm just asking about stock grips from anyone who has changed them out.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:26 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JRuss
huh?

I'm just asking about stock grips from anyone who has changed them out.
i dont think that comment was directed towards you. but the throttle grip..um..i didnt have a 'sleeve' on mine.. it just slides over the bar and is held on by the switch housing. the clutch-side grip, if you dont plan on reusing it, just cut that bad boy off

Old 04-23-2014, 01:49 PM
JRuss
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
i dont think that comment was directed towards you. but the throttle grip..um..i didnt have a 'sleeve' on mine.. it just slides over the bar and is held on by the switch housing. the clutch-side grip, if you dont plan on reusing it, just cut that bad boy off

Clutch side I've already changed out.
I'm having trouble getting the throttle side grip off the throttle sleeve. It's glued on it seems. And almost notched in to the sleeve itself.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JRuss
Clutch side I've already changed out.
I'm having trouble getting the throttle side grip off the throttle sleeve. It's glued on it seems. And almost notched in to the sleeve itself.
i don't recall any kind of sleeve on there, and i've changed out my grips twice. are you able to open up the switch housing and un-clip the throttle/idle cables from the grip?

Old 04-23-2014, 02:05 PM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He may be talking about replacing with some grips which are sold as the soft rubber part only and you have to add a hard plastic sleeve to stuff inside so it will rotate.

To OP, if that's what you're talking about, Most grips are sold with the inner throttle sleeve as part of the grip already so it will come with it. Just disconnect cables and housing and toss old grip with sleeve.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:50 PM
JRuss
Cruiser

Yeah guys these are Biltwell Recoil grips. Just the rubber grip part.
I can't get the stock grip off the throttle tube/sleeve, whatever you want to call it.
Sorry for any confusion.
I've got the throttle side grip unhooked and soaking in warm water now to see if it will separate from the sleeve. If not, I guess I'll buy a new sleeve.

I used some similar Biltwell grips on my Sporty and didn't have this issue getting the stock throttle side off. Just blasted some compressed air under it and the rubber grip came right off.

update: I'm over using this stock throttle haha. I've already spent over an hour dicking around with it. I'll just buy a new throttle sleeve.

Last edited by JRuss; 04-23-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:30 PM
Fatburger
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
Not directed at you JRuss lol. Sorry man. I'm selling some stuff on the classifieds and a potential buyer said "can you measure the bolts for me?" when he could just go to cyclevisions website and get more accurate fitment answers. I know some grips are hell to get off...which is a good thing. My stock grips started sliding before 10K miles. Good luck with yours. Always better to ask and make damn sure before effin something up. I don't care how ignorant I seem. I will ask. I've learned a lot from asking folks on here.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:14 AM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
Local shop did mine two years ago for $80.00. They still look as good as they did two years ago. I am happy with them. Now thinking about letting my buddy dip them in a matte carbonfiber, He owns a Hydro graphics shop and does some pretty cool stuff.
Did they power coat with I guess regular powder coat material or ceramic? I'm sure that's probably a dumb question but despite everything I've had power coated over the last few years I'll admit I'm a little ignorant about how it's done. My main concern of course is it holding up under the heat. Speaking of which I emailed the powder pro guys and they asked what tuner I was using because they thought I might be running way too lean. I can maybe see that for the spot that is on the rear pipe but the other spot is on the rear pipe right underneath the oil tank and is probably from oil dripped while checking it. I've included a couple of pics of what i'm talking about. The tuner I'm using is a Power Vision with a base map from fuel moto and some tuning runs using the Power Vision itself. One last thing. Not that I need more ideas to spend money I don't have on the bike but, does anybody have any pics of a Lo with passing lamps and a memphis shaded bullet fairing. I kind of like the look and after my long trip down to Orlando I'd like the wind protection but most of the pics I've seen, including on this forums, are of bikes without passing lamps.

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-img_1951.jpg   Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-img_1956.jpg  
Old 04-24-2014, 12:38 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatbob usmc EOD
Did they power coat with I guess regular powder coat material or ceramic? I'm sure that's probably a dumb question but despite everything I've had power coated over the last few years I'll admit I'm a little ignorant about how it's done. My main concern of course is it holding up under the heat. Speaking of which I emailed the powder pro guys and they asked what tuner I was using because they thought I might be running way too lean. I can maybe see that for the spot that is on the rear pipe but the other spot is on the rear pipe right underneath the oil tank and is probably from oil dripped while checking it. I've included a couple of pics of what i'm talking about. The tuner I'm using is a Power Vision with a base map from fuel moto and some tuning runs using the Power Vision itself. One last thing. Not that I need more ideas to spend money I don't have on the bike but, does anybody have any pics of a Lo with passing lamps and a memphis shaded bullet fairing. I kind of like the look and after my long trip down to Orlando I'd like the wind protection but most of the pics I've seen, including on this forums, are of bikes without passing lamps.
The local shop used a ceramic powder on my shields. Seems to be holding up great. I have no complaints.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners