Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 12:31 AM
Fatburger
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default raw fuel

Okay I'm gonna risk sounding ignorant here. I was at the ol's house after I'd just installed the flush mount LED fuel gauge n cap. I parked in her driveway on an incline. when I left I got on my bike turned it on and backed down the hill. I hit the starter at the bottom of the drive way. I noticed a strong raw fuel smell before I pushed the starter switch. Did I wait too long before hitting the starter switch. Never noticed this smell before. Did I flood it a little? Thanks much for any info. Running strong otherwise.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:35 AM
Fatburger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ILMFBL
Say it isn't so !! They lied at the dealership?
No chit?

Old 04-08-2015, 12:46 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatburger
Okay I'm gonna risk sounding ignorant here. I was at the ol's house after I'd just installed the flush mount LED fuel gauge n cap. I parked in her driveway on an incline. when I left I got on my bike turned it on and backed down the hill. I hit the starter at the bottom of the drive way. I noticed a strong raw fuel smell before I pushed the starter switch. Did I wait too long before hitting the starter switch. Never noticed this smell before. Did I flood it a little? Thanks much for any info. Running strong otherwise.
Could have just been venting from the overflow. Did you fill up the tank prior to that?

Old 04-08-2015, 11:13 AM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Sometimes I think they just fart gas from mystery holes. I came home from a ride the other day, parked her and dropped my gloves on dismount. When I bent down to get them I smelled overwhelming gas smell. Damned if I could find any leaking anywhere. Looked for twenty mins. and nothin'. It finally subsided but I still have no idea. I've had it overflow sitting in the sun after a fill up before and and it didn't reek as bad as this day. Who knows?

Old 04-10-2015, 11:01 AM
scrappy35
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fork Slider Change

I'm ordering my black fork sliders and am having a heck of a time trying to find a post on changing them out. Can someone point me in the right direction. I have the service manual, but I also like to read other peoples instructions / experiences.

Thanks,
Shane

Old 04-15-2015, 12:02 AM
Fatburger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
Could have just been venting from the overflow. Did you fill up the tank prior to that?
That was it man. I did top it off on the way over. Thanks. I also used the blue loctite on the cable clamp. Just got it snug and left it alone. Thanks for that info too. Ride Safe.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:11 AM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior

[QUOTE=scrappy35;13904107]I'm ordering my black fork sliders and am having a heck of a time trying to find a post on changing them out. Can someone point me in the right direction. I have the service manual, but I also like to read other peoples instructions / experiences.

I think Sgt Jim had a good write up on this, in this thread, quite a long time ago?

Old 04-17-2015, 01:22 AM
Fatburger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by shrednh
Hello guys,
Just wanted to post my winter project on the '13 Lo. Had the wheels, dash panel, and pulley powder coated, found some white walls (we'll see how they ride) painted fork lowers and bassani road rage 2-1 with a FuelMoto tuner. Going for that rat rod look.

Blacked out fork lowers

Powder coated wheels white walls

Powder coated dash panel

Finished winter mods
Looks sic. Good job.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:06 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ILMFBL
I think Sgt Jim had a good write up on this, in this thread, quite a long time ago?

Heyyyy i found it :-D

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...l#post11699205

ehhh edit.. no that's the wrong one. i'll keep digging for it.

It's a pretty simple process.. basically... drain the oil from the forks (remove top cap, and drain plug from bottom-rear of fork), remove the forks from the bike, stand them straight up with some kind of padding underneath (folded towel works), have a buddy grab hold of the lower end and push downwards, you grab the fork tube, push downwards, then with all your might, slam that bitch upwards. it'll break the seal loose (you're going to want new seals about every time you do this, they're like $10 each). That removes the lower from the upper. The springs are enclosed in the upper-fork, so there's no need to worry about them exploding everywhere.

However, if you're disassembling the upper fork, you're going to want to take some precautions.. because once you remove that cap from the top, that spring is going to want to blow out from there.
Overall it's a pretty simple process. With a buddy, probably about 20 minutes (after draining) to get them off from the bike and remove the lowers from the uppers.

Last edited by Sgt_Jim; 04-17-2015 at 06:10 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:43 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior

Sooooo, I couldn't stand it any longer and ordered the freight train nacelle today from Kutter. Anybody got any advice on any road bumps to avoid installing it? I know about using the extra washers on the retraining ring but other than that it looks pretty straight forward, no? Because I have BR's risers I won't be using the riser cover for it, so no problem there, although I might have to grind the nacelle a little, we'll see. I'm hoping between BR's 1 1/2" bars and risers and this freight train nacelle, that the front end will end up looking "substantial"! It never ends!!

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners