Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF....Bike has automatic Start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 10:36 PM
Nostalgic07
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF....Bike has automatic Start?

Got a "short" or a Gremlin in my 2007 softail deluxe. Once I turn the ignition switch to on, and after it takes those few seconds for the FI to prime, the bike will kick over and start on its own, without me touching the start switch. Also while running the starter engages on and off intermittently.

I pulled all the internal wiring from the handlebars and redid it all. I also replaced the starter relay. Checked the start and run/off switches for any binding. All checked the continuity of the these switches as well as the ignition switch.

I am at a loss here...not sure where to look next. Anybody here have seen this before or similar problem? Anybody familiar with the starting circuit? Could the TSM/TSSM or starter solenoid be the problem?

Hope somebody here can help a brother out...don't want to have to take it to the dealer and get ripped off for something simple.

Thanks in advance...
Rob.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:37 AM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The only time I've seen that was on an MG Midget I had as a kid. I heard it trying to start in the driveway. I thought someone was trying to steal it. Must have had the same gremlin. Hope you get it figured out soon. My MG burned to the ground.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:19 AM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by av8or
The only time I've seen that was on an MG Midget I had as a kid. I heard it trying to start in the driveway. I thought someone was trying to steal it. Must have had the same gremlin. Hope you get it figured out soon. My MG burned to the ground.
Ahhh, the Prince of Darkness at his best. Had a '67 Austin Healy Sprite that had an appetite for generators for a while.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:00 AM
TIPN8R
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Rob, my bet it's the starter solenoid. Also did you check all your contact points at the starter and thereabouts?

After it starts does it still stay engaged?

Old 06-18-2011, 06:00 AM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TIPN8R
Rob, my bet it's the starter solenoid. Also did you check all your contact points at the starter and thereabouts?

After it starts does it still stay engaged?

I agree, .... If there are no signs of wiring issues (cuts or burns) generally the solenoid is the part that fails....
(not my HD experience but I have seen this with a few cars and trucks...)

Old 06-18-2011, 08:01 AM
Tracker56
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

+1 If you have ruled out the wiring and switches on the bars, the next component prone to failure is the solenoid. It's mechanical and can be effected by vibration.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Nostalgic07
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gonna check the wire from the solenoid to starter relay next. I thought about the solenoid being bad, but it seems like it's a signal coming from the TSM module or something. I hear the click of the start relay and then the bike cranks over. It seems like a signal is being sent to starter. I think I am gonna just unplug the the start switch also, and see If it starts on its own.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:06 AM
TIPN8R

Originally Posted by Nostalgic07
Gonna check the wire from the solenoid to starter relay next. I thought about the solenoid being bad, but it seems like it's a signal coming from the TSM module or something. I hear the click of the start relay and then the bike cranks over. It seems like a signal is being sent to starter. I think I am gonna just unplug the the start switch also, and see If it starts on its own.
Get the solenoid and thank me later w/beer!

Old 06-19-2011, 05:06 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

try disconnecting the solenoid wire and see if starts on its own. if it does, you know the solenoid is shorted.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:40 AM
TIPN8R

Originally Posted by TIPN8R
Get the solenoid and thank me later w/beer!
Let us know if it was the switch Rob. From the sound of our chats it sure sounds like it bud. Check out this thread too:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...on-switch.html

Quick Reply: WTF....Bike has automatic Start?