Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mystrey plug found during oil change...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 03:43 PM
rynegold
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mystrey plug found during oil change...

A little help here would be greatly appreciated..... I just did a scavanger oil change with great success; ditto the primary chain case and tranny. Then, I saw this plug:

oddplug06 by rynegold, on Flickr

And of course, I had to remove it. About uh, maybe... 3.5 oz. of oil came out.

I found it here:

oddplug04 by rynegold, on Flickr

Here's a pic of "where" it came from; note the stand in both pix and the hand mirror showing the underneath from which it came:

oddplug01 by rynegold, on Flickr

So, question is: what'd I remove?? How do I refill it with oil?

thanks, m

Old 06-19-2011, 04:01 PM
stevevfd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's the crank case plug. I don't think you're supposed to remove it.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-did-i-do.html

Old 06-19-2011, 04:31 PM
MJ-13000
Tourer

Congrats on the scavenger-I watched a buddy of mine use his!

As to the drain plug on the bottom of the crank case? I was told never to mess with it as its a threaded pipe fitting?...and heard stories of them cracking?...hopefully..someone with more wrench time can answer that.

Only thing I saw my friend do was loosen the oil drain plug..let the oil drain..attached new O-ring and tightened the drain plug back up.
He removed the oil filter and attached the scavenger, filled the bag with oil and then stuck a hose on the return line and aimed into a bucket..and started the bike.

He had black oil shooting into the bucket..for about 1-2 minutes..then clear, clean oil.

Hopefully...as I said earlier, someone with more wrench time can answer which one you remove for an oil change. With the scavenger all you need is to drain the oil by removing the oil tank drain plug.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:39 PM
lazyboy09
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is the crankcase plug, which I've seen in other threads is a tapered plug and shouldn't be removed. The moco probably shouldn't put it there in the first place, just to avoid serious problems. There should be very little oil actually in the crankcase so removing it doesn't really accomplish anything. So how many quarts of oil do you end up using with the scavenger?

Old 06-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Tracker56
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

That's a plug you shouldn't remove. Usually in an effort to get it tight enough to stop leaking after they removed it the case gets cracked. It is a tapered pipe thread that is supposed to be installed and not removed. The only way to ensure that it won't leak is to use a thread sealer. The oil is drained from the oil tank and that's the only plug you should remove. If you don't have a service manual, you should invest in one. It will save you money and headaches.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:11 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

You should probably sell the scoot now, I'll give a hundred bucks

Old 06-20-2011, 06:48 AM
Nickrc3
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a plug you shouldn't remove. Usually in an effort to get it tight enough to stop leaking after they removed it the case gets cracked. It is a tapered pipe thread that is supposed to be installed and not removed.
+1
I'm surprised you got it out rynegold. Had a friend call me after he broke three allen sockets trying to remove this 'drain plug', as he described.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:08 AM
rynegold
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lazyboy09
That is the crankcase plug, which I've seen in other threads is a tapered plug and shouldn't be removed. The moco probably shouldn't put it there in the first place, just to avoid serious problems. There should be very little oil actually in the crankcase so removing it doesn't really accomplish anything. So how many quarts of oil do you end up using with the scavenger?
Hmmm, close to 3qts. I took it for a little test run of 3 or so miles and put her up for the nite. Today with it flat cold, I'm gonna check my oil levels in both engine and tranny to see how I've done.

I didn't buy the scavenger kit, just had a piece of old 1/4 inch fuel line laying around and bought this at Sears:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM3170143902P

You only need the one at the bottom.... then make one of these:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-r...r-10-00-a.html

Originally Posted by Nickrc3
+1
I'm surprised you got it out rynegold. Had a friend call me after he broke three allen sockets trying to remove this 'drain plug', as he described.

Thanks! this "do not remove this plug" business reminds me of this scene in "Young Frankenstein"... I love this old movie! Truthfully, had it been really tough to get out, I would'nt have forced it. I did notice the sealer on the threads but it came out with a 8" long 3/8 inch drive handle so I didn't have much leverage really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY2FUgvl6qk

Some added notes:
You will need to spray WD-40 on your oil
return line cap/cover before trying to loosen it and pull it down outta the way so's to get the line out of the oil bag. There is an O-ring in it that will be dry and difficult to deal with, you don't want to damage it so give it a little lube; otherwise, it wants to pull out around the inside edge of the cover.

Second, if that oil return line has never been removed before be advised its not coming out easily with just your fingers. Spray the insertion point (the clip) with WD-40 first. I used a larger diameter phillips screwdriver shaft wrapped in a shop rag to gently pry it out. Worked like a charm.

My (now that I know what its called) crank sump plug came out without much trouble and went back in just fine. Now I know its there and can say that my engine had, after almost 12,000 miles, less than three oz. of oil in there. Fine by me.

Trackker56.... I do have a maual, but nowhere near the first page does it say in large print "don't remove this plug!!"

I guess Mel Brooks didn't write the book!

m

Last edited by rynegold; 06-20-2011 at 07:22 AM.