Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:14 AM
mpricci
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering deluxe

I want to put 39 cholo long tails on my 06 deluxe. Do I need to lower front and back to keep level and prevent scrapping? If so, can anyone recommend how. Was thinking 422's in back. What in front? Don't have funds for shotgun or legends. One more thing, do people recommend long tails without baffles or the removable tails with baffles? I don't know if the baffles are removable as well but thought this would be better option so I could determine look and tone. Thanks in advance. Matt

Old 04-29-2012, 09:34 AM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new Samson models have removable baffles and fishtails, so that eliminates that tough decision of which to go with. I have the older non baffled pipes and I don't think they're to loud at all.

As far as the suspension setup, I didn't have my Cholo's before the Shotgun so I can't speak with experience. I can say even with the Shotgun I still scrape once in a while when I'm not paying attention. I'd have to agree you wouldn't want to manually lower the rear only because I believe you'd just raise the angle of the long tails creating more scraping.

To lower the frontend I used the Progressive Drop-In kit that can lower the front end up to 2". I'd also recommend using 30w fork oil if you lower the front.

Welcome to the forum and I'm sure others will chime in. We like pics around here so get the cam ready!

Old 04-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Best, looks wise, to keep it level. Never liked the looks of long pipes angled 20 degrees down to the ground in back. (you'd think they'd make sets with different degree tilts, yes?)

You're gonna end up with a harsher ride though, just so's you know.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 AM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the 39" non baffled and am very happy with them. They don't seem to loud at all. But, that could be because the end of them is about a foot past the rear of the bike. IDK. I used a set of $16.00 lowering bolts off of Ebay to lower the rear of mine. At first I had it slammed but raised it back up to where it is lowered 1 3/4" from stock and tightened up the preload so it doesn't bottom out with me weighing 190lbs. I have the Progressive drop in kit for the front still in the box just waiting on the 21" front wheel. I have barely scrapped twice but because I wasn't paying attention. I really don't think the 422's are worth the money. That's why I opted for the bolts and to save the money for something else.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:54 AM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Benway
Best, looks wise, to keep it level. Never liked the looks of long pipes angled 20 degrees down to the ground in back. (you'd think they'd make sets with different degree tilts, yes?)

You're gonna end up with a harsher ride though, just so's you know.
Benway, I honestly can't see that mine are angled 20 degrees in the back.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:38 PM
mpricci
6th Gear

Thanks guys for all the info. So my grand plan is to put long tails, 21 inch front wheel, and lower it. If I was to get the pipes now should I wait to lower it until I have the 21 inch front. Or can I put the pipes on and lower it, then wait for more funds for front rim. Once again thank you for all the help

Old 04-30-2012, 09:02 PM
thaghost
Tourer

Is this what your going for haha....I got 21 in front, 18 in back, 39" cholos and shotgun shock.