Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trick to getting the proper spacing for rear axel

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Correct adjustment for rear axel.

Is there a trick to getting the correct spacing off the rear axel?

I'm going nuts taking measurements from the the axel nut to the pivot point on the swing arm, from the axel nut to every other place on the bike I can think off to use as a reference and its still sounds like its off.

When I roll the bike the belt sounds like its rubbing against the pulley.

I figure there has to be someone here that has a trick to getting this darn thing straight.

Last edited by Alain; 10-07-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:17 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I adjust mine, I put her up on a lift, spin the wheel forward and backwards and watch the belt closely. Make small adjustments to the adjuster nuts until the belt stays in the same spot on the pulley when spun both directions. Once you get it right, take it for a short ride and check it again. It takes a little while to get perfect, but I think this is a much more accurate way than measuring. The manual says to measure to the center of the pivot bolt, but there is no definite mark so you'll just be guessing. I tried using a micrometer to measure the adjuster bolts, but with them set the exact same length, the belt still wandered a bit.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:03 PM
IronWright
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by IronWright; 10-05-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:34 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

The alignment adjustment affects belt tension. You have to get them both right. There is more forgiveness in the belt tension than there is in keeping the belt centered in the pulley. A perfectly centered belt keeps you from fraying the sides of the belt. You can vary from that slightly but there should be a gap between the belt and the pulley flange on both sides. You have to get the wheel close, set the belt tension, and then realign the wheel and then check the belt tension. Less than one face on an adjuster nut will move the belt in the pulley enough to make it wrong or right, so it takes some patience.

Or, you can just get you a couple of long straightedges, set the bike upright, and use the measurement at the front wheel on both sides (assuming your front wheel is correct).

I bought the swingarm bolt round head/nut covers from Harley. This gives you two of the same conditions on both sides of the bike. Get some non-stretching string and tie a small loop in one end. Put the loop over the bolt covers and pull the string back to the center of the axle. Keep your fingers pinched on that spot and move the string to the other side of the bike and do the same. Once you have the axle straight, adjust your belt tension by turning the same number of faces on the adjustment bolts on both sides.

Note... belt tension should be set using the correct HD tool and someone sitting on the bike.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I appreciate the opinions guys.

I should have mentioned in my first post that when i put the bike on the lift and spin the wheel as if the bike was moving forward the belt moves from the left side of the pulley to the right (and begins to ride on the right side flange of the belt pulley flange. when i spin the wheel as if the bike was moving backwards the belt starts to ride to the left side of the pulley and it wants to ride on the left side flange of the pulley.

i'm off from work tomorrow so i'm gonna tackle this job early in the morning and try to get it squared away.

i did a little you tube search and watched some helpful videos. gonna try it again tomorrow. i'll let you guys know