Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for not-so-loud mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 05:13 AM
Zener
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for not-so-loud mufflers

I recently bought a 2012 Heritage and want to change the mufflers, either slip-on or full pipes and muffler(s) and eventually a stage one. However, I don't want it a whole lot louder than stock. Maybe 20% louder with better tone. Are there any options out there? Seems like most aftermarket mufflers are pretty loud. I've seen V&H offers a quiet baffle for some of theirs -- what do they sound like?

Old 11-11-2012, 06:11 AM
aftica
Advanced

I use the V&H quiet baffles on my Softail and will do the same with my new 48. They are still plenty louder than stock but the sound is much smoother and mellower (not raspy) than the open baffles.

If you keep the RPM's low they sound really sweet... you'll actually get compliments in town if cruising beside a four wheeler with open windows.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:00 AM
Kojax
Grand HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
Smile

rush slip on 1.75 baffle nice sound

Old 11-11-2012, 07:08 AM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 for the V&H Pipes.

Quality without being obnoxious.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Poor_Dog
Novice

I have the V&H quiet baffles... really like them, not too loud at all and decent sound out of them. The baffles are removable if you want it louder.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep , V&H Quiet Baffles. They remove the highs and leave you with a deep rumble. At highway speed they are just audible , they WILL respond if you shoot the fuel to it but the raspy noise just isn't there.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Smileman
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These might be just what you are looking for. Vance and Hines propipe chrome 2-1. They are louder than stock but still fairly mellow. On the highway it's about the same volume as stock unless you are on the throttle.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:03 PM
bvkamp
Cruiser

Supertrapp Supermeg is a quiet exhaust that would increase performance over stock. I replaced my V&H Bigshots with standard/open baffle with these. See link below for a description.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...bers-pics.html

Old 11-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Slowmow
Novice

I went with American Customs Exuast (A sponsor here). They re-work your stock exausts and send them back to you or, they will send you a set already done and take your cores in on trade (If they are scratched or dinged they won't accept them), but the price is right. They also offer 2 different quick-change baffles. I opted for the louder sound (Probably about 20-30% louder) but with a deep smoothe growl and no decel pop. At highway speeds and roll-on, they sound good. You can take a listen by going to their site. Like you, I plan on doing the stage-1 and probably tru duals sometime soon but for now, these are fine.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Smileman
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowmow
I went with American Customs Exuast (A sponsor here). They re-work your stock exausts and send them back to you or, they will send you a set already done and take your cores in on trade (If they are scratched or dinged they won't accept them), but the price is right. They also offer 2 different quick-change baffles. I opted for the louder sound (Probably about 20-30% louder) but with a deep smoothe growl and no decel pop. At highway speeds and roll-on, they sound good. You can take a listen by going to their site. Like you, I plan on doing the stage-1 and probably tru duals sometime soon but for now, these are fine.
FYI, If the cats are in the pipes, American customs won't accept them for trade.

Quick Reply: Looking for not-so-loud mufflers