Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for not-so-loud mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 09:51 AM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I had my Heritage I put on 1.75" Rush Slip-ons. Great sound!! Have had them on other bikes, as has my hubby. In fact he now has 1.75" Rush on his new Fat Boy Lo. Always have had compliments on the sound, and the price is reasonable. Usually good deals on Amazon, and sometimes other places as well, no need to pay full MSRP.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:29 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

The used to make Rush 1 1/2'', the 1 3/4 would be a little louder than them..

I jsut looked them up and I am not sure they still make the 1 1/2'ers..

Here's the 1 1/2ers, but U need to call Rush to see if U can still get them.

Maybe they don't recommend the 1 1/2ers for the 103 now???

Here's the 1 3/4ers, louder when U get on it.

Here's the link to get to them
http://www.epiflex.com/softail07_12.html

Last edited by oct1949; 11-12-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

The V&H "quiet" baffles only make the exhaust about 2-3 decibels quieter than with their stock baffle. I would not classify them as quiet. The Supertrapp is great as you can add or remove discs and change the sound, plus it comes with a solid endcap that help keeps it a bit quieter. From your description I think a scremin' eagle exhaust would be more on par with what you are looking for.

Exhaust is so subjective that what I think is quiet others think is loud. It is very difficult to decide based on someone else's opinion.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:31 PM
tpyi
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just swapped out my Exile Monster Pipes to Vance and Hines Big Shots w/Quiet Baffles on my 06 Night Train. I really liked the sound of the Exile pipes and honestly they weren't too loud, especially coming from an 09 Nightster with V&H Short Shots (really loud) with stock baffles. I was hoping for slightly quieter and some slight performance gains with the crossover chamber, in a longer pipe, and i liked the chrome tip on the V&H. Never did get dyno results for either pipe but I'm pretty sure I got exactly what I was looking for. A little quieter but a nice bass/rumble and mellow sound and seemed to gain little more top end, just by judging on a strip of highway I hit between an off street and turning into work. I also did the smartphone decibel meter test and got 87db at idle with the Exile pipes and about 82-84db on the V&H Quiet Baffles, that varied down to 79 db just walking around the other side of the bike, within a foot or so. Here are some sample clips I took of each from my driveway, granted 2 different types of camera sources; canon standard def digital camcorder on the Monster pipes and a panasonic zs-19 digital camera on the V&H, I think the canon had a better mic built in, but the panasonic records in stereo and hi-def vid.

Exile Monster Pipes:

Vance and Hines Big Shots w/Quiet Baffles:

Old 11-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Zener
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bvkamp
Supertrapp Supermeg is a quiet exhaust that would increase performance over stock. I replaced my V&H Bigshots with standard/open baffle with these. See link below for a description.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...bers-pics.html
Thanks guys for all the input. BVKamp I checked out your link with interest. Yesterday, I took my new FLSTC which is totally stock over to my friend's house who has an 06 Deluxe (cams, 96 cu in, SE AC, different ECU) with Supertrapp Supermeg on in just like yours. He normally runs all 20 disks. So I took the Deluxe out for a spin then came back and we reduced the number of disks to 10 (which is about the minimum recommended). I took it out for another spin to compare power and sound. The only thing I disagree with you about is that the Supertrapp with 20 disks in was considerably louder than my stock pipes/mufflers (but not nearly as loud as some aftermarket pipes/mufflers I've heard). With 10 disks in, it was closer to stock volume but still a bit louder at idle and much louder than stock when accelerating hard. As far as I could tell by the seat of my pants, the power was about the same. Although probably the hp was down and the torque up with only 10 disks in. I like the tone a lot whether 10 disks or 20 disks. Where did you buy the Supermeg?

Old 11-13-2012, 05:58 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowmow
I went with American Customs Exuast (A sponsor here). They re-work your stock exausts and send them back to you or, they will send you a set already done and take your cores in on trade (If they are scratched or dinged they won't accept them), but the price is right. They also offer 2 different quick-change baffles. I opted for the louder sound (Probably about 20-30% louder) but with a deep smoothe growl and no decel pop. At highway speeds and roll-on, they sound good. You can take a listen by going to their site. Like you, I plan on doing the stage-1 and probably tru duals sometime soon but for now, these are fine.
Ditto on American Custom exhaust!!! Me and my 2 brothers had them do ours and we love them. You can change the baffles to get the sounds you want in 2 minutes. Very reasonable also. They will rework yours or you can buy blanks from them that they have reworked already.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bassani Road Rage 2-1

We have the Bassani road rage 2-1 pipes on our bike and they the right sound, nice DEEP rumble and NOT overly loud.
Here is a vid of them on our bike.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 PM
68beep
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a set of bassini slip ons and they were loud, loud with 2" baffles. Took them off and found a new set of Rush slip ons with billet tips and 1 1/2" baffles for my 12 Deluxe. Perfect sound and performance.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:46 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

I went with the V&H slip-ons with the 2 inch baffles. They were way too loud for me so they let me exchange them for the 1.5 inch and I could not be happier with the sound. Remember, these things get louder over time.