Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Fatboy power upgrade question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Softtail Bob
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Fatboy power upgrade question?

I was thinking of adding the Screaming Eagle Stage 1 air cleaner and Vance & Hines BSS. If I do this what is the best way to remap the computer? HD wants me to buy the race tuner and 2 hours labor to tune it. They say go race tuner because it retunes the stock computer and you have no hardware left on the bike after tunning. Also they say the race tuner will still adjust for altatude changes but with the PCIII you would need to have it retuned like you would with a carb. Does this sound right? I'm looking for a good power combo and think the BSS and A/C would be nice.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:52 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: 2002 Fatboy power upgrade question?

I'm not sure whoever told you that understands how the ECM system works.
The SERT will keep all the original sensors in place and operate exactly the same way the factory intended, in that he's right. It also allows for a bit "finer" tuning.

But the PCIII only eliminates the O2 sensors, something the original ECM only uses under limited conditions anyway, and being as they are only narrow bande sensors they have only limited functionality anyway.

The claim that it will need to be "retuned" like a carb for altitude changes seems a bit "off" to me as the ECM still uses the MAP, air temp, and TP sensors for incoming air info and they will tell it if there is a change in atmospheric pressure levels. All the PCIII does is lengthen or shorten the injectors pulse width to change the amount of fuel going into the engine.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Dirtrace95
Cruiser

02 didnt have 02 sesors so i dont no how the dealer thinks a sert is going to retune with altitude changes. Id go with the PCIII its very simple to tune as compared to the sert.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Softtail Bob
Road Captain

Would this be a good power combination? Or are there better pipes or combo for power?

Old 03-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Littleshack
Cruiser

Pclll is a throttle postion set up and very easy to work with. It is hardlined in with you ecm. ( You can put on another Bike ) .

Harley Race tuner sert is a lot harder to set up, but does not stay on the bike and ( Is married to the bike ) This way is alot better, but harder to set

Harley told me 3 hrs to set up PClll and 6 hrs to set up Race tuner. And they would rather do PClll

Old 03-18-2007, 10:07 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My bike I went with the BSS and the SE stage 1 air cleaner, its a great way to get some more power to the rear wheel. There are better choices for exhause pipe then the BSS but they are all 2 into 1. The thunder header or the V&H pro pipe are good choices for max power for a pipe. But the increase will reall not be that much over the BSS since they do have a cross over. Theres a whole huge write up about the theroy of exhauset and scavenging and such and how a 2into 1 works the best then a 2into 2 with a cross over and at the low end (unless your running your bike at 5000 rpm or higher) is drag pipes. The whole PCIII VS the SERT thing is in my opinion gone over the edge. You can use a PCIII no problem and tune it yourself pretty easily or you can get a SERT which is a little more complicated but sill able to tune it yourself. They basically accomplish the same things but the SERT will allow you to fine tune a few things a little more then the PCIII but its nothing thats going to make a drastic change in power. That being said I have the SERT for my bike and I am totaly happy with it. I know a few people with the PCIII and thier bikes run just the same. Its all about how indepth you really want to get with the tunning stuff. From what it sounds like you should probably get the PCIII and down load a canned map from there web site and you will be a really happy camper. Ive had mine dyno tuned and it came out with 73hp and 74 ft lbs tq which is about 10 hp and 12 ft lbs tq over the stock configureation. Hope this helps if you have any more questions just give me a PM.

Chris