Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-map / Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 07:27 AM
younggeezer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-map / Tuners

I have received my Vance & Hines true dual head pipes to install on my ’02 Ultra Classic. Since I am very unfamiliar with this and it seems the re-mapping issue is about as clear as which oil is the right oil to use I am asking for some help. I have read where several opinions are to run it with no changes, and several are to re-map or add a tuner. Of course, the local Harley shop says to re-map or add a tuner. I have looked at the Power Commander and had just about decided to go this route, then I read about the Techlusion TFi and now I am insure again. Please give me some feedback and opinions. I would like to do this in my shop so I do need all the info I can get to make an informed decision. Thanks.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:32 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If that's all the mod's you're doing, then just get the V&H Fuelpak. You can do it yourself, and it's easy to do. They have many maps to choose from. You can later do a 95" kit and cams, and the FP will still accommodate it.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:36 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by younggeezer
I have received my Vance & Hines true dual head pipes to install on my ’02 Ultra Classic. Since I am very unfamiliar with this and it seems the re-mapping issue is about as clear as which oil is the right oil to use I am asking for some help. I have read where several opinions are to run it with no changes, and several are to re-map or add a tuner. Of course, the local Harley shop says to re-map or add a tuner. I have looked at the Power Commander and had just about decided to go this route, then I read about the Techlusion TFi and now I am insure again. Please give me some feedback and opinions. I would like to do this in my shop so I do need all the info I can get to make an informed decision. Thanks.
If your 02' UC is FI then I would suggest you getting some sort of fuel/air management system. The PCIII is a very good system, and you dont hear too much about people having problems with the unit itself. If it was me I would go with either the SERT, PCIII, or T-Max. You have to research it a bit more yourself and make as informed a decision as you can. I dont think you could go wrong with a SERT and good dyno tune though.....or the PCIII with a canned map even.

If you bike uses a carb, then you can get away with using a ignition system like the SE unit or others on the market. You could just rejet the carb yourself to get the F/A correct just using reading the plugs to get you in the ball park.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:00 AM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your bike is just a stage 1 (intake & pipes) then a Fuelpak will be ok. If you are planning on any engine mods later then you need to go with a PCIII or a SERT. I personally don't care for the T-Max and since your bike is an 02 you would have to add "o2" sensor ports. Call Jamie at Fuelmoto and tell him what you getting. He will send you a PCIII with a map already loaded. Many people have done it this way and a re quite happy. For me I go the dyno tuning route.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Rotti2
Advanced

I would go right to the PCIII. I have one and wouldn't do without one. If you do a HD mapping its only good for stage one. If you ever add cams or the 1550 kit you will have to remap again.
Buy from Fuel moto, give them your exact changes and they will take care of the download that is very close. Mine was impressive.

Smitty