Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shotgun Shock install on Breakout

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 09:28 PM
HDbreakout
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shotgun Shock install on Breakout

I ordered a SS for my breakout and want to hear from other Breakout owners who have done the install. How have the installs went specifically on the Breakouts. Im looking for any info i can get from breakout owners that could make my install easier. It seems the install is relatively easy but you guys gotta have some help full tips and bits of info right?? I have done a search on here and have read a lot of SS install threads and it seems most have no problems but I would like to hear about some of the little minor problems i may run into. Thanks in advance for any info you can share with me. Super amped about getting my Shotgun and wanna be as prepared for my install as i possibly can.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:13 PM
Yo Nadz
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hopefully 24v will chime in. He said he can do one in under 2 hours now. Subscribed for info. This is something I want to do sooner than later.

What threads did you find that were Breakout specific regarding the install??

Old 03-14-2014, 10:15 PM
asputin
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The hardest part for me was where to mount switches.I ended up mounting to frame under seat.

Attached Thumbnails Shotgun Shock install on Breakout-011.jpg  
Old 03-14-2014, 10:19 PM
HDbreakout
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Yo Nadz
Hopefully 24v will chime in. He said he can do one in under 2 hours now. Subscribed for info. This is something I want to do sooner than later.

What threads did you find that were Breakout specific regarding the install??
I have not found any Breakout specific install threads, thats why I started this one. I have noticed there are a number of people on this forum that have breakouts with the SS and I'm hoping they will all chime in with their install experience.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:25 PM
HDbreakout
Intermediate

Originally Posted by asputin
The hardest part for me was where to mount switches.I ended up mounting to frame under seat.
It sounds to me like JD has made a custom bracket for the switches for the bikes that have the grenade instead of the horn. I got a email after I ordered asking if i had a horn or the grenade. Maybe when you ordered your SS didn't have the custom brackets??

Old 03-14-2014, 11:26 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Install is easy if you have a lift and a second person. 24v and I installed mine in under 2 hours. Didn't do a how-to but it's not hard by any means.

1) Remove OEM shocks
2) Remove emission hoses (there are two hoses and you'll know which ones they are because the block the mounting location of the compressor).
3) Before tightening anything down, route the electrical wiring all the way to the + and - terminals (mine barely fit)
4) Find location to mount the switches (curious if JD made a new bracket for grenade since the bracket provided with mine won't work at grenade location)
5) Tighten everything down
6) OPTEST the switches and learn what settings are most comfortable

Enjoy..........

Oh, and do yourself and everyone else a favor and document your install (creat a how-to thread) so that anyone else who's thinking about installing one has a tutorial that you made.

Best wishes!

Old 03-15-2014, 12:28 AM
Yo Nadz
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The instructions sound straight forward except for the "using a size U drill bit, tap two holes in the trans housing to 7/16 14 thread." Sounds scary...

Old 03-15-2014, 12:30 AM
Harley_Charley
Road Master

Originally Posted by Yo Nadz
The instructions sound straight forward except for the "using a size U drill bit, tap two holes in the trans housing to 7/16 14 thread." Sounds scary...
Do you have ABS? If you don't have ABS you shouldn't have to drill anything. Mine bolted right up to the location where the ABS would normally go. If you have ABS then it's a whole different animal.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:31 AM
asputin
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats for older bikes.ours have threads already there.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:34 AM
Harley_Charley
Road Master

Originally Posted by asputin
Thats for older bikes.ours have threads already there.
Pretty sure if you have ABS you have to drill new holes elsewhere since the spot the compressor normally goes can't due to the ABS.

Quick Reply: Shotgun Shock install on Breakout