Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape hanger right parts? and questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:05 AM
FatboyDilbert
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ape hanger right parts? and questions

Hey all .. Im gonna try and do my 1st ape hanger install .. I just want to make sure i have all the parts required to do it .. as i will have to ride to the closest base and complete everything in a day ..

I have :

16 HCC apes
risers
poly bushings
magnum shielding +12 cables comin ( i like em a little loose )
namz wire extensions
new master brake cylinder + gasket and dot 4 fluid
gasket for the trans cover
4 o rings for the brake banjo's

Anything else i need other than tools and a manual which I have ?

Anything else about installing the apes that i need to know ? or tricks that will help ..

Tryin to watch youtube videos etc .. but having problems finging one on the fatboy ( or softail ) i like to see a step by step ...

Thanks you all are awesome

Old 04-23-2014, 06:06 AM
FatboyDilbert
Cruiser

I believe this is all i need right ?

Old 04-23-2014, 08:43 AM
BlacklinePaul
Advanced

I am also in the middle of doing my first ape changeover and would like feedback on this. Is the new master brake cylinder necessary? If so, why? I thought you would only need a new (larger) master cylinder if there was a conversion from single brake to dual or if the braking area is changed (i.e. going from stock caliper to 6 piston). The only change is the length of the cable, and since liquids are incompressible, one would think the master cylinder would function the same as before the changeover.

Thanks,
Paul

Old 04-23-2014, 08:41 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BlacklinePaul
I am also in the middle of doing my first ape changeover and would like feedback on this. Is the new master brake cylinder necessary? If so, why? I thought you would only need a new (larger) master cylinder if there was a conversion from single brake to dual or if the braking area is changed (i.e. going from stock caliper to 6 piston). The only change is the length of the cable, and since liquids are incompressible, one would think the master cylinder would function the same as before the changeover.

Thanks,
Paul
you don't need a new master cyl. unless you want a chrome one. I've had the same master on 4 sets of bars so far..

Old 04-24-2014, 01:48 AM
FatboyDilbert
Cruiser

yes .. sorry for the delay .. my old black one got brake fluid spilled on it without my knowledge .. and the paint chipped off .. so I figured on getting all chrome

Old 04-24-2014, 06:47 AM
Echo6 Sierra
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Here is a link to a thread I posted a while back after doing my install.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...l#post11497098

It's not as detailed as some of the other posts on here, but I have tons of pics on my hard drive I could send you. If you need a hand along the way shoot me a PM and I'll give you my number. It's not hard, you just have to take your time.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:05 AM
Rickierockit92
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FatboyDilbert
Hey all .. Im gonna try and do my 1st ape hanger install .. I just want to make sure i have all the parts required to do it .. as i will have to ride to the closest base and complete everything in a day ..

I have :

16 HCC apes
risers
poly bushings
magnum shielding +12 cables comin ( i like em a little loose )
namz wire extensions
new master brake cylinder + gasket and dot 4 fluid
gasket for the trans cover
4 o rings for the brake banjo's

Anything else i need other than tools and a manual which I have ?

Anything else about installing the apes that i need to know ? or tricks that will help ..

Tryin to watch youtube videos etc .. but having problems finging one on the fatboy ( or softail ) i like to see a step by step ...

Thanks you all are awesome

you should be good man, just have some patience if this is your first time. soder, soder, and more sodering. that is the answer. use a lighter though. sodering guns blow when compared. wrap both ends of wire together (i like the cross) then take sodering wire.. a nice little piece and flick lighter under wires you tied together (the tip of lighter is hottest works best.. for me) till you can dip the soder in and melt that bad boy on! then slip the shrink wrap over. dont forget to put shrink wrap on before sodering. dont know how many times i made that mistake!

Old 04-24-2014, 07:13 AM
FatboyDilbert
Cruiser

Rickierockit92 ... I got the Namz extensions bec im pretty sure I have the Canbus system ( 2011 fatboy) ... do I still need to soder these ? I thought they were plug and play ?