Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will A 2012+ Tank Work On A 2008?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Will A 2012+ Tank Work On A 2008?

Hey Guys,

I was curious if a post 2012 tank might work on a 2008?

I have a 2008 Crossbones and I saw an nice Softail Slim tank with a really great paint job that I thought would look sweet on my bike. For the most part the tank looks identical to the one on my Bones. The only difference to my eye is that it does not have that overflow nipple on the front of the tank that's hidden under the console on my Bones. Any other thoughts on whether or not I might be able to run this tank by switching the guts from my tank into the newer model tank?

Thanks,

Skeez

Old 06-10-2014, 12:55 PM
perryross
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 06-10-2014, 01:53 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by perryross
Thanks man.

I was checking that same site out earlier making comparisons. Externally there seems to be little difference except for the vent line. I would have assumed that the newer tanks just don't use it but I noticed on the break down for the Slim's tank that it shows a vent line (#29) although it does not show where on the tank it connects to as is illustrated on the Crossbones tank.

The internals are where some of the differences really lay. I would think that just swapping out the guts from my tank into a Slim's tank would work but can't say for sure...

I hate to think that I can't just go to a parts counter at H-D and ask but to this day I find that more often than not, they know less than I do about Harleys and what is interchangeable and what is not. To this day I remember them laughing out loud at me and saying things like "knock yourself out" when I asked to look at their parts books because I was going to swap out my front fender for that off a Heritage Springer. They insisted that there was no way it could be done without major modifications.

What can you do...?

Old 06-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

The vent line from the Slim, and newer Softails, connects to the top plate. There is a roll-over valve inside the tank that isn't present on the 2008 Crossbones.

I think you could make this work, without issue. In reality, having the new vent, vent line, and top plate should get you on the road. I do believe all of the 2008 internals will fit into the tank without issue, but not sure whether or not the 2008 internals will successfully attach to the 2012 top plate (which you need for the vent).

Old 06-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
The vent line from the Slim, and newer Softails, connects to the top plate. There is a roll-over valve inside the tank that isn't present on the 2008 Crossbones.

I think you could make this work, without issue. In reality, having the new vent, vent line, and top plate should get you on the road. I do believe all of the 2008 internals will fit into the tank without issue, but not sure whether or not the 2008 internals will successfully attach to the 2012 top plate (which you need for the vent).
These are very good points. I did notice that there was a vent on the 2012 tank's top plate but the parts blow-up didn't really make it clear that the line went up to it. I guess it should have been obvious but I'm used to seeing the broken lines that points where one part leads to another.

Gonna give another look at the top plates and see how different they are.

I wonder how difficult it is to change out the check valve from one tank to the next?

Old 06-10-2014, 03:14 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Taking a closer look at the breakdown for the fuel pump and top plate, it looks like the only difference in the top plate is that the newer models have the vent tube where as the Crossbones' does not. So are Redbeard suggested, getting the newer top plate and vent line may do the trick. Of course this means I would be eliminating the whole roll-over valve thing... Which I have no idea what it's for. Maybe prevents fuel leaking on "roll-over"?

Old 06-26-2014, 03:25 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Default New Tank

So if anyone cares...

I asked several different service managers about the different parts in the 2012-newer tanks and non of them even knew of the change...!

I then told them why I was asking (I wanted to put a 2012 Slim tank on my 2008 Bones) and I got the typical "Oh it won't work. It's all mounts differently...blah, blah, talking-out-my-@$$, blah, blah..."

I continued to study the parts breakdown for both and decided that the only difference was the way the vent line had been moved to the top plate and the addition of the rollover valve had been introduced into the newer models. By chance, I met a tech (one of the guys who actually wrenches on the bikes as apposed to sitting behind a desk regurgitating the P&A catalog) and told him my story one more time. To my surprise, he went back to the service department and did some quick research and found me not once, but twice to provide information. He agreed that what I had concluded seemed accurate and the tanks should otherwise be perfectly compatible with my bike. He gave me some helpful advice about the tanks in general and in case I proceeded with the mod.

The next day my brand spanking new tank that I won on eBay for a mere $360 shipped arrived and I was able to confirm everything.

The bottom line is that swapping a 2012-newer tank onto an 2007-2011 model Softail will work just fine provided you get the newer top plate with vent and extend your vent line to reach the new location.

The reason I was interested in any of this to begin with is the aforementioned tank from eBay. I usually would NEVER go for a paint scheme like the one on this tank but for some reason as I was randomly trolling the site I saw this tank and it caught my eye and triggered a slew of ideas. This came just as I was about to do some changes to my bike and has now steered me in a completely opposite direction.

I've included a couple of pics of the tank. It's brand spanking new and not single hairline scratch on it. I almost hate to install it but can't wait to get my new string of mods going.

Wish me luck!

Skeez

Attached Thumbnails Will A 2012+ Tank Work On A 2008?-_57-1-.jpg   Will A 2012+ Tank Work On A 2008?-_57-2-.jpg  
Old 06-26-2014, 08:32 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

Nice work Skeez! I'm glad that you're sorting to the bottom of this and that the results are favorable. I see no reason that you won't be successful in making this swap.

I'm really anxious to see where you go with all this. Are you going to have the fenders painted to match this tank? Details man, we need details!