Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil change question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 05:04 AM
fatboy1729
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question oil change question...

Hey forum, just changed the oil and filter on my bike while it was on the lift. I wanted every drop of oil to come out so I waited a bit. But when I went to refill the oil bag, it only took 2.5 qts. I know it takes 3.5 qts. Is it because of the bike sitting upright versus on the jiffy? Will it be ok to start her once the bike is back off the lift with the 2.5 qts. so I can check her again to add more if needed? A little help here needed...Thanks in advance...

Old 06-20-2014, 05:37 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

2 1/2 is about all I ever get in. Maybe a bit more. I just put in the 2 1/2, start it, let idle for a minute and check the dipstick. Add as required.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:58 AM
mayhemmaster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did mine and manual said to check oil level on jiffy stand along with not screwing dip stick in...just set it in and pull out to measure.. lower it put it on stand make sure oil measures on dip stick fire it up then re check

Old 06-20-2014, 06:21 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

Just drain it out and refill to proper place on the stick per your manual. There is always going to be remains left in low spots and such throughout motor. Hurts nothing. The normal time between oil changes do not leave any oil that can actual damage your engine. If you purchased a bike that had never been changed for 5 year, change it,drive it around the block and change it again. Mine with a filter change takes about what you said. I change once a year and that remaining in the quart will keep it close to the top mark on the stick when HOT before I change it again. Since you are doing it your self, get two more qts for the transmission and primary and do them also. They get beat up just as much as the engine. The oil will look clean in them but there is more metal trash and they have no filters.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 06-20-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:33 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey fatboy1729, long time no chat! I know we think along the same line based on previous conversations. I want every drop out of my bike too when I do oil changes. That's why I do the complete 100% clean oil change using the Scavenger. This isn't a reply for everyone who doesn't believe in it to jump on board and bad mouth it. It's not here for debate. I am only contributing to the OP's thread.

I also have the bigger HD oil cooler and when I do oil changes I put in a little over 4 quarts of clean, brand new oil. I change my oil when it's up on the floor jack but when I warm it up afterwards, let it circulate a minute or two, I drop it down and check it on its kick stand. I am VERY pleased with the results using the Scavenger and this method. It runs cleaner and cooler and that is the trick to air cooled motors.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:44 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,246 Likes on 8,381 Posts

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
Hey fatboy1729, long time no chat! I know we think along the same line based on previous conversations. I want every drop out of my bike too when I do oil changes. That's why I do the complete 100% clean oil change using the Scavenger. This isn't a reply for everyone who doesn't believe in it to jump on board and bad mouth it. It's not here for debate. I am only contributing to the OP's thread.

I also have the bigger HD oil cooler and when I do oil changes I put in a little over 4 quarts of clean, brand new oil. I change my oil when it's up on the floor jack but when I warm it up afterwards, let it circulate a minute or two, I drop it down and check it on its kick stand. I am VERY pleased with the results using the Scavenger and this method. It runs cleaner and cooler and that is the trick to air cooled motors.
If they ever knock the price down on that scavenger unit I`ll buy it. Right now I warm up mine, then shut it down. I carefully lean it over on the right engine guard (with less than 1/2 tank of fuel), and let it sit for about 5 minutes so the oil filter will drain out completely. Then I replaced the oil filter, set it upright and level, and drain the oil tank and primary fluid. I usually change the tranny oil every other time I change engine oil. Mine won`t be as clean as what a scavenger unit will get it, but it is still a lot cleaner than not using the above procedure.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:56 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
If they ever knock the price down on that scavenger unit I`ll buy it.
I made my own for about $12

I too will not look at convincing anyone to purge all the old oil from the engine at each oil change - for me it doesn't take much longer or cost more to purge all the oil.