Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$49.00 fairing

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 11:52 AM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default $49.00 fairing

Well guys what do we think?
I was looking for a 1/4 type fairing for my '48 , but after installing a 7" headlight , the search was tough.
I found this one , got it for Christmas , and just got around to fabbing some brackets to mount it up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Univer...-/321710522911
It came from www.chaparralmotorsports.com.
The fairing basically does not fit "any" bike , but side mount headlight bikes might be pretty easy to fab for.
I figured , what the heck I'll try it!
I had nearly all the materials laying around , so here it is........

The fork clamps are sliced up ehaust pipe with 1/2" tubing welded cross wise for the bolt mounting.
You can see I sliced up an oil bottle to make fork protectors from the clamps and to insure a proper fit.
The side plates are stainless flat stock I had in the corner.
I did have to buys the cross bolts and nuts.
In the 3rd picture you can see the only brackets that actually come with the fairing (against the fairing plastic).
I had to go back to the stock headlight base mount to bring the DS bucket forward and down for the fairing.
I will have to notch the left side for the clutch cable on my final assembly.
I will paint the brackets and maybe wash the bike sometime this summer.
What do you guys think , scrap it or keep going ?
I always liked the '60's cafe fairing look , is it OK on the '48?
I have personally spent about $11.00 on this project so far for hardware (fairing was a present from the wife)
I appreciate your input , I'm not much of a style oriented guy.
Mick

Old 04-25-2015, 06:09 PM
Rollbar
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

How dos the air deflect on your body?
Over your head, to your neck or?

Jim

P.S. where did you buy the 7" head light?

Old 04-25-2015, 06:13 PM
Ployd4
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks pretty cool from the front. Would look cool if you made a Mad Max style dirty, raw, work bike.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:35 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

That huge side gap looks terrible IMO. If you could find or make something to fill that in, it would look great. It really shouldn't be hard to come up with something. But that gap and exposed mounting hardware is a deal breaker for me. Regardless if you paint the hardware black or not, that large of a gap will never look right. Again, just my opinion.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:46 PM
bfarrell
Intermediate

Looks good. Not into cafe, but still, nice job fabing.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:52 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
That huge side gap looks terrible IMO. If you could find or make something to fill that in, it would look great. It really shouldn't be hard to come up with something. But that gap and exposed mounting hardware is a deal breaker for me. Regardless if you paint the hardware black or not, that large of a gap will never look right. Again, just my opinion.
I agree with you Rich. But it looks like the space has to be there or else his bars would run interference with the fairing, but even if he fills it with something, it still looks unnecessarily too far forward. It looks to be representitive of the typical early swept back crotch rocket fairing design, which would normally be placed further back towards the rider, and that space wouldn't be there...it would be occupied by a set of clip ons, which, if he switched over to, he could then mount the fairing back farther and it would look proper. Lastly, I think that having the headlight 6" in front of the running lights/directionals looks a bit odd and also hides the lights on one side, unless you're viewing the bike from an angle less than 30° from head on.

=8^)

Old 04-27-2015, 01:36 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewBone
I agree with you Rich. But it looks like the space has to be there or else his bars would run interference with the fairing, but even if he fills it with something, it still looks unnecessarily too far forward. It looks to be representitive of the typical early swept back crotch rocket fairing design, which would normally be placed further back towards the rider, and that space wouldn't be there...it would be occupied by a set of clip ons, which, if he switched over to, he could then mount the fairing back farther and it would look proper. Lastly, I think that having the headlight 6" in front of the running lights/directionals looks a bit odd and also hides the lights on one side, unless you're viewing the bike from an angle less than 30° from head on.

=8^)
Understood, I'm just thinking something as simple as a flat filler plate that he could attach to his mounting hardware, would probably make a great finnishing improvement. It's actually a good looking fairing, just needs a little more finishing to complete the look IMO.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:38 AM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the input guys , I think I'm going to box the project till fall when I have more time.
I should be riding after the winter we just had.
The fairing is designed to be mounted nearly against the bottom tree and would work great with clip on bars.
It really should be mounted about 2-3" closer to the bike.
This is why the forward mounting caused me so much greif.
I will fill in the sides with lexan , painted black from the inside which will make it gloss black and scratch proof on the outside.
I just thought it might look neater this way and make the bike look more like a bullet or torpedoe going down the road.
I did like the mad Max idea , although my wife would faint if I went that direction.
Mick

Old 04-27-2015, 06:28 AM
stockglock1927
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its pretty cool. mad max cool. I would get rid of that front fender now and it would look REAL sick.. maybe put some more off-road looking tires on it to set it off. like an adventure rider tire or duel sport tire.

like these

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...nzia-rear-tire

Old 04-29-2015, 08:56 PM
sroc3
Road Captain

I'd try and fill the gap with a stretch-mesh kinda fabric, a thick netted one. That might look cool. Or black leather?