Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDXT fairing help

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 06:41 PM
Chonk
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default FXDXT fairing help

Hello,

I am trying to decide which fairing I get for my upcoming Low Rider S.

I do a fair amount of long distance riding (300-400 mile day trips and some touring every year).

I have been looking at the FXDXT fairing which I now like much better since the replicas leave off that chrome trim on the front which just didn't appeal to me in the old days.

So I have been looking at the JD Customs and Conely replica fairings that they paint.

The JDC version is a couple hundred more and wonder if the implied quality and better website pictures are the only difference or if the full mounting hardware is better or if they are both the same? JD offers more windscreen height options too. They also have considered the buffeting issue and offer a fix I assume would fit other makers fairings.

Is the mounting the same as factory on both or is there more flexibility in mounting on one or the other (angle, height, headlight mounting location, etc...)?

If I take off the fairing will it leave marks where it was mounted?

Anything I should know about peculiarities?

So who has experience with either of these fairings?

Thanks in advance.

Chonk

Old 02-27-2016, 07:38 PM
Kraken
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The JD is a replica, it uses the same mounting hardware as the stock one did. The Conley fairing mounts differently with fork tube clamps and its windshield isn't adjustable. If you buy the Conley you're stuck buying Conley windshields and can only change the height by buying a new one. I've only seen the 1 piece Conley in person and wasn't that impressed. Personally, I'd never buy a Conley simply due to there being almost no adjustment to get rid of buffeting. I'm happy with my JD Customs fairing.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:43 PM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

JD is better- lighter, adjustable, higher quality. Get it.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:46 AM
Chonk
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Kraken,

Is there much adjustability in the JD mounting?

Also, if I remove it will it leave marks where it was mounted. I may take it off and put on the H-D Quarter fairing for some variety and if I sell.

Thanks.

Chonk

Old 02-28-2016, 12:21 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Riffle Roadster might be another option for you. Windshields are available in any height you want in different tint options as well. The mounting on my FXR is very stout and highly adjustable. Two mounts go to my headlamp brow mount, and the lower two mounts to my fork tubes above the lower triple tree. Quite the bargain IMO at around $300. Mines been on a couple years & many miles now, and works great. Their customer service has been great as well.

Last edited by PanHeadRich; 02-28-2016 at 12:25 PM.