Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 09:06 AM
DarlaB
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster question

If this has been covered please point me in that direction. I am new to this site, 50 something year old women that is getting frustrated with my ride. Last fall had a little issue of what appeared to be carb loading up ? When I would slow to an idle bike would die unless I kept on the throttle a bit. Carb adjusted, finished the season. Started riding more and more this season, problem returned :-( took bike to mechanic. Completely gone over. New air filter, new plugs, cleaned gas completely out , new gas new intake manifold gaskets, carb off, carb cleaned, carb on, new fuel, carb off, get the picture??, new float, new needle, new slide, adj. air screw, carb on. Checked for any vacuum leaks ( none found) Thought the problem was fixed (mech rode it, let it idle forever, seemed to be ok) I have ridden 40-75 miles several times no problem. This past weekend rode over 100 miles from home and it all started again but worse. Still wanting to die at idle but now sounding bad and felt like a bucking bronc at pretty much any speed. Had to restart more than once in intersections and the last time blew out a large puff black smoke with no odor and rode with NO signs of any issue the last 30 miles home. From 15 mph to 70 mph. I am not able to do the work myself but do understand the workings of an engine and am looking for info to help guide my mechanic. HD dealership over 70 miles away and I would rather not take it there. Although parts are bought there. Ugly weather here so would like to get it in to shop asap. Any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-21-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:23 AM
Glock Man
Cruiser

Gas tank/cap vent maybe building up pressure in tank after awhile riding.......that's all I got,hope you figure it out.

Best wishes,
Glock Man

Old 05-21-2015, 01:16 PM
DarlaB
Novice
Default Considered

Considered this, but since it did it at one point after filling up and didn't even make it 100 yards and it died again. Soooo beyond frustrated !

Old 05-21-2015, 02:23 PM
az sporty
6th Gear

What year? Maybe crankshaft position sensor?

Old 05-21-2015, 05:03 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

vacuum operated petcock sticking and starving it of fuel?

Old 05-21-2015, 07:05 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

does this only happen when the bike is hot / running temp ???

if it only happens when warmd up or hot - i would check the ignition module
one way to check is , from cold start it let it run then use hairdryer to heat up the ignition module, if it stalls then thats ur prob

Old 05-21-2015, 08:00 PM
DarlaB
Novice
Default Thanks

Thank you for your suggestion. Definitely something I can do on my own to eliminate. Mechanics too often want to guess at owners expense. Not all. I don't mean to be negative. Not hating on mechanics just speaking from experience and still have a problem.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:26 AM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by az sporty
What year? Maybe crankshaft position sensor?
+1
The crank position sensor makes a bike do really weird things when it goes bad. You wouldn't be the first one to tear a perfectly good carb apart, when the culprit is the sensor. Been there, done that. Cleaning the sensor didn't help. I had to replace it with a new one. In my case, I had another sensor in a different Sportster to use as a diagnostic tool (swapping the suspected bad sensor for a known good unit). Once I discovered what to check, it took about 20 minutes and the bike was good to go.
Crank Position Sensor part # 32804-04A.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:36 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
+1
The crank position sensor makes a bike do really weird things when it goes bad. You wouldn't be the first one to tear a perfectly good carb apart, when the culprit is the sensor. Been there, done that. Cleaning the sensor didn't help. I had to replace it with a new one. In my case, I had another sensor in a different Sportster to use as a diagnostic tool (swapping the suspected bad sensor for a known good unit). Once I discovered what to check, it took about 20 minutes and the bike was good to go.
Crank Position Sensor part # 32804-04A.
Seen that more than a few times.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-23-2015, 06:58 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

any update on your issue ?

Quick Reply: Sportster question