Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you want to upgrade to a big twin?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 09:31 PM
Steven Driever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do you want to upgrade to a big twin?

Do you get the urge to upgrade to a big twin or do you like your Sportster for what it is? I've been thinking about this a lot. There are some upgrades I want to do to get the bike the way I want it... I want a Cobra tuner and progressive suspension, handlebars, etc. but I know I won't get any money back in resale on parts and kind of think of trading it in.

Advantages of my sporty are: it's size fits me. It's size fits in my garage. It's paid off. The maintenance is simple, it's reliable, taxes and insurance are cheaper... it just kind of fits my life in general. But I kind of get the itch for a big bike, especially now that HD came out with the Ultra Classic & Limited Low.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:40 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

You are asking if I want to downgrade to a heavier clumsier bike?

The following 3 users liked this post by Von_Zipper:
cvaria (04-17-2016), Ratwerke (04-16-2016), sgthwjack (04-17-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 10:04 PM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Not really. I thought I might for long trips, but I just did a long trip on my sporty and was totally fine. I have no use for one of those. I actually wish I had another sportster, make it into a solo chopper.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:06 PM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 336 Likes on 291 Posts

Nightster to Street Bob ...I could see that for me.

Baggers and softtails are too big for my uses.

Six speed for interstate travel, secured bags for luggage, better passenger accommodation could be reasons to move from a Sportster.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:07 AM
rdunnill
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Driever
Do you get the urge to upgrade to a big twin or do you like your Sportster for what it is?
I bought a Big Twin, but, as another user has pointed out, it's bigger and clumsier. I keep a Sportster, too.

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 06:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

I've got both - wait - I've got all three, including a Buell! Bought the Sporty long after I bought my first big twin. Sporties aren't starter bikes - they're carrying-on bikes!

Old 04-17-2016, 07:28 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

i did the "big twin is better" stupidity a while back and bought a big lummox of a wide glide. i still ride/like my sportster more. it's pure, it's fun, it's small, it's reliable, it's easy to work on/maintain, and i just plain love it.

on highways and northern Florida flat and straight roads, the dyna is a beast....fun AF. twister th throttle at 80 to 90 mph and the stock dyna will pour on more power and torque, do that on a stock sporty and you get noise. anywhere else, the dyna is big clumsy fail. dyna folks will disagree due to Stockholm syndrome and ego. but look here:

Motor shot- https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ed-advice.html

S&S - https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...onversion.html

engine is destroying itself from the first fire up. heat issues, several mechanical time bombs, more places for leaks, higher cost to maintain and do basic service like belt changes,.... etc. do the research.

i'm not saying don't buy one at all. i'm saying be aware of what you are getting into and be ready to fix/mitigate the time-bombs and design flaws that hd is aware of and not doing anything about but, will happily take your money and sell you the "lifestyle". sporty is more reliable and a better all around pure motorcycle (opinion). i think the retired super glide is amazing and the low rider s is great.

ignore folks telling you that you need to upgrade and the big twin is bigger and more comfy, it's bulls***. setup your sporty right and you'll be just as comfy. "but i'm tall" so, get extended forwards. i still have randoms asking me if i'm going to get a bigger bike when the see me on my sporty. i just say,"i can't afford it".

currently, i'm mulling over whether i should have just bought a bmw k1600gt/l instead of buyig a dyna. bmw gives way more features, power(170hp/125 tq from the flat 6), better reliability.... drawback little to no (easy)customization and they are ugly AF. in short, there are more options out there other than big twins and harley, period

go test ride some and leave everything (including your sportster) but your license at home. ask to ride it in a dense are with traffic (if available) and on highways. the highway performance will blow you away; the around town performance will have you headed for the hills. but, there is another intangible.

it's other people, the looks, thumbs up, comments... ball washing from passersby, dreamers, etc will be totally unlike the sporty. you can feel it at lights... men stare at you, women stare-look away-stare more, kids press their faces on windows, scream and basically say anything they are thinking, "oooh dad look!" all that crap feels good no body is asking you to upgrade, except the dealer.... they'll ask you to buy a new bike even if you bought on from them 10 minutes ago.

keep your sporty and get the second bike if you want, like you said, you own it.

Last edited by cvaria; 04-17-2016 at 07:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ratwerke (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 07:45 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by rdunnill
I bought a Big Twin, but, as another user has pointed out, it's bigger and clumsier. I keep a Sportster, too.
^this guy^

Old 04-17-2016, 07:49 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Doesn't a Sporty come with a big twin?

Old 04-17-2016, 12:53 PM
rdunnill
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
Doesn't a Sporty come with a big twin?
No, it has the older Evolution motor.

For what it's worth, out of the box the Big Twin has a smoother ride, and it's quicker on the freeway. However, it's harder to control and easier to drop. I feel safer on the Sportster, which is why I have a touring seat on order for the 883, even though a ready-to-tour Big Twin is parked next to it.

Quick Reply: Do you want to upgrade to a big twin?