Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relocate low fuel indicator

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 01:24 PM
hecmoya
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Relocate low fuel indicator

I just changed up my cockpit by relocating speedo, making a new indicator light holder and adding drag bars and love the new look and feel. What I don't like is that it's hard to see the part of my speedo that has my low fuel indicator. I have the speedo twisted so that I can see the needle up to 90mph. Before I rotated it, I had no idea how fast I was going when above 40 or so. I know many will say; "Just check mileage when you get on or from time to time or whatever..." That's not the point; the convenience of the low fuel indicator is that you don't have to remember to do anything, and a light turns on telling you you're getting close to empty... right?

I'm thinking of mounting an orange LED to the little dash I made (will probably make a new one) and tapping into the speedo harness (assuming it will be that simple). Does anyone know if it will be that simple or is even possible? I haven't taken the time to investigate the harness and how the voltages change when there is "low fuel", but I think it would be badass to have that convenience again.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-04-2011, 07:48 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How about buying the HD fuel gauge in black to put on top of the right side brake fluid cylinder. You would maintain the same look and have the fuel gauge.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:24 PM
michaelmartin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't put much work into it since the reliability of the fuel light is weak. Like MANY others, mine comes on at any time. Even comes on 1 or 2 miles after a fill up.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:27 AM
hecmoya
Stage III

I wouldn't have given it a second thought if I hadn't sputtered into the gas station this week. I haven't had any issues with my low fuel indicator so far, so I won't discount it as useless... It's not do or die, but it's definitely on my hit list if things to figure out.

The fuel gauge on the brake reservoir would be awesome! If I give up and decide to throw some cash at it, that would definitely be the way to go

Old 10-05-2011, 07:00 PM
SpicOfTheDevil
Road Captain

would relocating the speedo between the jugs make it more visible?...and still look good?

Old 10-05-2011, 07:31 PM
SpicOfTheDevil
Road Captain

another option is a rocker box mount, considered this years ago yet never did it...had this link saved on my favorites...
http://www.mcadvantages.com/gauge-mo...-1,241,252.cfm

i know very little about electronics and this is related to a softail yet could help you with your idea, the instruments wiring diagram included in the service manual (at least for softails) shows there's a wire yellow/white tracer that goes from the fuel gauge to speedo for fuel level light, so might be as easy as you thought...

Last edited by SpicOfTheDevil; 10-05-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:55 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hecmoya
I wouldn't have given it a second thought if I hadn't sputtered into the gas station this week. I haven't had any issues with my low fuel indicator so far, so I won't discount it as useless... It's not do or die, but it's definitely on my hit list if things to figure out.

The fuel gauge on the brake reservoir would be awesome! If I give up and decide to throw some cash at it, that would definitely be the way to go
My fuel gauge on the brake reservoir is very accurate. One of the best mods I have bought.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:58 AM
hecmoya
Stage III

Originally Posted by ColoHarleyGirl
My fuel gauge on the brake reservoir is very accurate. One of the best mods I have bought.
Good to know, thanks for the tip!

i know very little about electronics and this is related to a softail yet could help you with your idea, the instruments wiring diagram included in the service manual (at least for softails) shows there's a wire yellow/white tracer that goes from the fuel gauge to speedo for fuel level light, so might be as easy as you thought...
This gives me hope for a super cheap and I think a unique solution. I'm thinking I can make this happen for less than $25. There's a cool old light from an old Thunderbird I'm looking at...

or a plain amber light would work too.