Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW 2013 For Me

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 08:04 AM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Default NEW 2013 For Me

Hello fellow Sportster Riders!

Just got lucky and found the score of a lifetime and got a new, 3miles, 2013 Sportster 1200C on close out from local dealer. Got the big bike for wife and I – GREAT - but for commuting this will be the daily ride for me.
So sure I’ve upgraded my UC but now I want to do some stuff to this bike. First off the exhaust sounds like a Volkswagen beetle ala 1970 style. NO SOUND! What are your thoughts on drilling out the baffles for the short term to just get some sound out of it? How big a hole? ALL the way out or go smaller smaller hole? I’m sure Sears had a nice metal unibit with extension with my name on it that I can grab this weekend for a quick fix. Figure I can do some DIY stuff now and in PA our OFF season, also known as WINTER, it will allow me to do some more upgrades like a possible slip on upgrade and fuel management system if needed.

SO I’ve seen many youtube videos over the past few days on the baffle removal but they were all on 883’s, this is a 1200 – any difference? And ya’ll agree with them and there is no issue with lean run if the baffles are just drilled out and nothing else done? Once I go slip on and K&N I’m sure a fuel management upgrade will be needed right?

Lastly I don’t want it crackle/poppy and cruddy sounding but would like a bit more sound. My pythons on the UC are nice and not obnoxious sounding. So this is the sound I like. Rode a Sportster with Vance Hines short shots and man my back teeth rattled. Really don’t want anything like that. Think the baffle will be poor or OK? OK is good…

I’ve got the windshield and bags with rear light bar relocate kit on the way. So I’ll have plenty to do over the weekend holiday. BUT I also want to RIDE!!! Figure drilling 2 holes should be easy???

Any tips and suggestions are welcomed...THANKS and ride on safely!!!

Old 08-22-2014, 08:40 AM
saddleupmc
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to the club!

Old 08-22-2014, 01:46 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Thumbs up

Welcome to HDF from the UK.

Just ride it! No need to rush into modifying it just yet, as you will probably find you change your mind pretty quickly on what you want of it. I expected to change my mufflers pretty soon, but have grown to like mine stock - makes quite enough noise, now I have got used to it.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:01 PM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the welcome!!! And advise too!

Old 08-22-2014, 04:23 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Welcome to this side of the fence.

I agree with grbrown. Just enjoy the new addition for now. Since the wife has part ownership, it might be wise to get her opinion as well. Gives you and your wife a chance to listen to other Sporties. Decide and do the exhaust mods during the off season.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:35 PM
Andy Knell
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm in for like third or fourth or fifth on waiting. I drilled the baffles on my 1200X after a month and regretted it. So I'd choose "poor" in response to the OP. My bike ran really hot - like cook-your-***-hot and the popping was annoying as hell and performance-wise, I wasn't happy either. I ended up with VH Short Shots earlier this month and like them a lot since I don't mind the teeth rattling.

But the drilling, as shown on the YouTube videos that I've seen, is accurate from what I can tell. Just a hole saw and a drill if you're going to do it.

As for slip-ons, I tried a set of the SE Street Cannons before getting the short shots and wasn't happy with them. No different than stock for sound/performance on a '14.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:48 PM
Hogie_gt
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put V&H Twin slash cuts on mine and I like the sound. A bit loud but now it sounds like a Harley!

Old 08-22-2014, 07:45 PM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

I am going to leave the mufflers on my 2014 Superlow stock. They are plenty loud for me.

Last edited by hexnut; 08-22-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:10 PM
Sawyer Rob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hexnut
I am going to leave the mufflers on my 2014 Superlow stock. They are plenty loud for me.

Same here, I want to enjoy the ride, NOT have to listen to all that racket!

SR

Old 08-23-2014, 08:26 AM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 582 Posts

It's a commuter bike. Why do anything to it? Sure, any mods you make to the engine will give you more power, but that extra power comes at the expense of gas mileage. Get a windscreen, sissy bar and rack and, if you have to haul a lot of crap to/from work get saddle bags.

The point for most commuter vehicles is to get from point A to point B as quickly, safely and as cheaply as possible.

Quick Reply: NEW 2013 For Me