The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Anybody have a car tire with a trailer hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 10:17 AM
ISLANDER1089
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody have a car tire with a trailer hitch?

I installed a Michelin 205/55 R16 on my 2009 SG and it fit perfectly. Then I ordered and installed a Hitch Doc hidden receiver hitch. The clearance on the left side is perfect but the edge of the tire on the right side is within 1/8" of the hitch. I can find no way to adjust the axle to equalize the gap on each side. Most all metric bikes allow you to move the axle forward or back independently whereas on a Harley with the cam system the right and left side moves together. I suppose as long as the tire doesn't rub on the hitch I shouldn't worry about it but really surprised me that Harley designed it this way. Basically, the cam system allows the axle to move forward or back with no ability to align the belt or wheel. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Am I missing something here?

Old 04-25-2014, 07:15 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default equalize

You can't move the wheel left or right without a lot of trouble. If it clears, don't sweat it.

If you're uncomfortable with the clearance, go with a 195.

I know when I first put a 205 tire on, I was always thinking about how close it was to the belt. After a while, I just forgot about it and had fun.

Harley designed it right. If you adjust one side of the wheel ahead or behind the other, your wheels won't be lined up right. The rear wheel will be to the left or right of the front wheel.

Last edited by rkoivisto; 04-25-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:09 PM
ISLANDER1089
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
You can't move the wheel left or right without a lot of trouble. If it clears, don't sweat it.

If you're uncomfortable with the clearance, go with a 195.

I know when I first put a 205 tire on, I was always thinking about how close it was to the belt. After a while, I just forgot about it and had fun.

Harley designed it right. If you adjust one side of the wheel ahead or behind the other, your wheels won't be lined up right. The rear wheel will be to the left or right of the front wheel.
I took it out for a nice two hour first ride of the season and it road beautifully. When I got back home I checked for any wear on the new tire and didn't see any. Bottom line, I'll take your advice and just ride it.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:28 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Cool

Enjoy

Old 04-26-2014, 10:57 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Could you put some liquid paper or something else on the hitch clearance to test for rubbing.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:27 PM
Blk Betty
Advanced

My question is : how does the c.t. handle pulling a trailer behind your bike ? Any difference ? I have a 2005 electraglide, ride two up most of the time and pull a trailer behind me on our long trips .

Old 09-15-2014, 04:14 PM
ISLANDER1089
Cruiser

There's another thread where I describe what happened while pulling a heavy camper trailer behind my 09 Street Glide equipped with a Michelin car tire. Without a trailer the bike was a pleasure to ride. With the trailer it was very dangerous at freeway speeds as the trailer started wagging the bike back and forth. I was convinced that the softer side walls on the car tire was the problem. I was leaving on a 30 day bike trip and didn't have time to really explore other options so I bought a new Metzler motorcycle tire and the problem went away. Others on this site have had different experiences so I suggest you find my thread about the "trailer wagging the bike" and read the various input. It may be that a different brand of car tire would work better.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:13 AM
Blk Betty
Advanced

Thanks Islander, I've been thinking about going Darkside, now i'm not so sure !

Old 09-18-2014, 04:08 PM
tsigwing
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Haven't gone dark on this bike yet, waiting for the stock dunlop to wear out, but on my previous bike, one of the primary reasons I went dark was for the increased load capacity of the CT for pulling my time out camper. Now, I admit to staying under 75 mph on my bike, but never felt anything like described above. Different bikes, tires and pressures, but have no doubt that I will be putting on a CT.