"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Key west in january?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 07:35 PM
BOSTONHAMMA
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key west in january?

Hey all! I am thinking about flying down to Fort Lauderdale in the end of January 2015 for 4 days and renting a bike (preferably a road glide but I can't find any rentals) and riding to key west. Just looking for a few tips or helpful hints from anyone who's done something like this before. It will be just my wife and I. We went to Orlando the same time in January last year and the weather was definitely warm enough to ride. I have found petersons Harley is about the best price on an ultra classic for a rental for 4 days. Any ideas on where to stay in key west? We are in our mid 30's and enjoy some night life but nothing too crazy. We haven't been there in 15 years so we are looking forward to it! Thanks in advance!

Old 07-10-2014, 09:14 AM
petdoc94
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on your budget, there are ample places to stay, just make sure you get out of the area before or after rush hour..That alone could make ya spit nails..I personally like the ride over the bridges, I always look in my scuba mags since there is alot of dive operations there and they have some sweet deals on local area places to stay even if you are not a diver..
Some of the places they advertise are 3+ stars...Just have to do a lil research and you should have a grand time...

Old 07-10-2014, 05:56 PM
Roger That
Road Warrior

If you are certain on the dates that you'll be there, book it! January is in season down there and will be pricey. There are a lot of places to stay from B&B to really nice hotels to really cheap hotels...not in price though!

I would recommend using one of the travel websites..exp, trav adv...at least to get an idea of what's available to choose from and read the comments. If money is no issue and you want really nice near Duvall Street I would recommend the Westin on Mallory Square.

Good luck!

Old 07-10-2014, 06:15 PM
Piggs
Novice

Treasure oastHarley, Stuart Florida rents... were at mile marker 101 on 95, its 4 hours to key west... yes, in season $$$.. we stay at the curry mansion in, one block off duval st... off season its $250+ a night but its very nice. you don't want to 'ride around' too much on the glide down there.. traffic is everywhere. its good to walk when in Key West.. a lot of drunks.. and some of the best looking women,,, aren't. Have fun, its just a little different there..

Old 07-10-2014, 08:09 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Palm Beach HD also rents, so does Chesters west of Ft Lauderdale. Also check out Eagle Rider.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:19 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

We go to KW 1 or 2 times a year for a weekend getaway. We always stay at the Pierhouse. It's at the end of Duval St and an easy walk from just about anywhere.

https://www.pierhouse.com/

Old 07-13-2014, 10:51 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

It's a great ride. I like to stop at Alabama Jacks and go over Card Sound Road at Last Chance Saloon vs going south on US1. US1 south of Homestead is so straight and flat that it seems to be going uphill the whole way and every time I've been on it traffic is bad, Card Sound is always deserted when I've been on it.

Best advice is to plan your trip so you aren't heading into the keys on a Friday afternoon/evening...the traffic is horrible and makes for a tiresome ride. Similarly, don't head back on a Sunday evening. If you avoid those times you'll enjoy the scenic ride.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:54 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Last time in Key West I was looking to save some $$, so I stayed at "Spanish Gardens". Its located fairly close to the Southernmost Point Landmark, at the quiet end of town, so its a bit of a hike to downtown Duval St. Not fancy, very small rooms in the motel, but they do have two quite large rooms in a separate building, which I recommend. Doesn't look like much, but was very clean. Has a nice pool, no restaurant, but there are plenty of good ones within walking distance, including a great Cuban Take-Out place directly across the street that's open for breakfast. Key West is unique, to say the least. Enjoy!

Old 07-17-2014, 07:27 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Boston no matter where you plan to stay you better get your plans made now, you are going in peak season and it might be full already.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:10 PM
krtracr
Advanced

When we go to KW we stay at The Key Lime Inn. They have room & 4 or 5 detached bungalows and a nice pool, includes a decent continental breakfast.
Situated about 3 blocks off Duval Street, just far enough away that you don't here the hustle & bustle but close enough to walk to dinner & drinks.
Have a great time.