Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 switched +12v?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 08:52 PM
BiikeMike
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 switched +12v?

This is my first post after lurking awhile, I've done searches and can't find the answer to this I'm installing some accessories and need a switched +12v source. Anyone know which one to tap?

Thanks!

Old 03-26-2015, 09:04 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

the acc switch on the dash controls the plug under the seat.

mike

Old 03-26-2015, 09:07 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

What Mike said...... or buy a multimeter.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:43 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,561 Likes on 730 Posts

By switched, I understand you to mean power that only appears after the bike is started, not through a toggle or rocker switch. Take it from the back of your cigarette lighter socket if you have one, otherwise as Shooter said use a multimeter. And be sure your taking power from the fused side.

Last edited by Ride my Seesaw; 03-26-2015 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:03 AM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 271 Likes on 170 Posts

Any orange with a white stripe.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:16 AM
BiikeMike
Stage IV

Thanks guys. I did it with a multi meter on my last bike and even though I got a switched 12v, it was somehow the wrong one and screwed everything up.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:42 AM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by BiikeMike
Thanks guys. I did it with a multi meter on my last bike and even though I got a switched 12v, it was somehow the wrong one and screwed everything up.
Yep, you don't want to tap power off anything that has to do with your ECM, ignition, or gauges. For example, a class D stereo amp always has a high frequency switching power supply in its circuitry. Adding that into the wrong 12 volt bus could be disasterous if those high frequency pulses worked their way into your ECM or gauges via the power line. Same thing too if your 'addition' draws to much current and pulls down the power. Always best to take power directly from the battery, and if it needs to be switched automatically then do it from a relay wired to the cigarette plug.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:30 AM
BiikeMike
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Ride my Seesaw
Yep, you don't want to tap power off anything that has to do with your ECM, ignition, or gauges. For example, a class D stereo amp always has a high frequency switching power supply in its circuitry. Adding that into the wrong 12 volt bus could be disasterous if those high frequency pulses worked their way into your ECM or gauges via the power line. Same thing too if your 'addition' draws to much current and pulls down the power. Always best to take power directly from the battery, and if it needs to be switched automatically then do it from a relay wired to the cigarette plug.
Thanks! I'm installing a FuzeBlocks FZ1 so I don't have everything coming straight off the battery. I have a lot of accessories . The switched 12v hooks upto the FZ-1 just to trip the relay.

http://www.fuzeblocks.com

Old 03-27-2015, 09:07 AM
BiikeMike
Stage IV

So for soemthing like that, could I tap off the running lights? It's not pulling any power, just turning on the relay...?

Old 03-27-2015, 09:28 AM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by BiikeMike
So for soemthing like that, could I tap off the running lights? It's not pulling any power, just turning on the relay...?
Yes, the running lights would be a great place to take the relay's switching power from. Relays typically pull about 100 milliamps of current, or about 1/10th of an amp. It certainly won't load down your lighting circuitry, just make sure the relay's contacts are rated well above the maximum current your accessories will draw. Otherwise over time the relay contacts will pit and develop carbon buildup on them, adding resistance and dropping the power to your accessories.

Quick Reply: 2010 switched +12v?