Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biketronics Install on a Electra Glide Police Model--SUCCESS

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Biketronics Install on a Electra Glide Police Model--SUCCESS

First, sorry for the lengthy post. I purchased my '04 FLHTPI in Feb. '05 looking for a new hobby and not having owned a motorcycle in 40 years (a 50cc Honda bought new in 1965). Wasn't sure I would like the hobby/lifestyle and didn't want to spend the $$$ for a more expensive touring model. So, 40,000 mileslater I can't imagine NOT having a bike and friends to ride with.

I wanted a radio/CD player and installed a Sony headunit and speakers. Also, wanted handlebar controls, but needed the handlebar switches, etc. I decided to add cruise control late last year and Cruisemount supplied the harness and it works great. The cruise kit also came with right handlebar switches and harness. A buddy installed the HD CB/intercom which came with new left handlebar switches, and he generously gave me his left handlebar switch assembly take-off.

Next, I purchased the Biketronics interface unit; got my Service Manual out to figure out the wiring; and, bought the parts to assemble the audio plug that comes standard on all civilian EG's but is missing on the police model.

The process worked out successfully and I now have handlebar controls of the radio/CD player. The bad news is that it took me several months to realize that I had incorrectly assembled the plug--I hadn't pushed the sockets far enough into the AMP plug so although the wiring was correct, the sockets never made contact with the pins in the Biketronics interface unit--so no power or anything else to the Biketronics interface. SHAMEON ME.

Honesty compels me to admit that over the course of this project, I sent the Interface unit back to Mike at Biketronics (after bending his ear on a phone call) convinced I had a faulty unit. He tested it,checked itout, and returned it to me.

If you have a police EG and want to add the handlebar controls, PM me and I will provide the HD part numbers for the Audio plug, connectors, and pins (that go into the handlebar housings), and the wiring assignments for each socket in the Audio plug, and left and right handlebar housings.

Again, sorry for the lengthy post. Hope this may help a fellow FLHTPI owner.

And THANK YOU Biketronics for an excellent product and customer service.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:58 PM
Fast Eddie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Biketronics Install on a Electra Glide Police Model--SUCCESS

HPM:

Sounds like I am trying to do what you just did except I am using a Road King with a removable fairing instead of the FLHP.

The two major differences are that I don't have the interconnect harness in the fairing and I haveseparate connectors for the cruise control and other handlebar switches in the nacelle.

For me to do this I have to:

1. Replace the Eclipse stereo that came with the fairing with a Sony unit and installthe biketronics unit.

2. Fabricate split conectors from the handle bar wiring harneses to go to a) cruise control in nacelle, b) other switches in nacelle, and c) stereo controls in the fairing which will have to be easily disconnectable when I remove thefairing.

3. Fabricate my own interconnect harness in the fairing to connect the handlebar stereo controls, power, and speedometer (or tach, I am not sure)to the biketronics unit.

I have it in my head on how to do this butI need to diagram it out to make sure I have all the parts and connections correct. When I get it done I will PM the diagram to you to check out and compare to your experience.

After putting 300 mile on my new Ultra I cannot imagine having a stereo without handlebar controls and AVC. It is really a pain to be constantly adjusting the volume by taking my hand off theleft handlebar and reaching into the stereo. The ***** are too small and sensitive.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:49 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Eddi, your project got me thinking about how you can do this. Looking forward to the PM with your plan for the disconnects to the Biketronics interface--you will wear out the pages in your Service Manual tracing the wiring from the audio plug to the handlebar switches. LOL. But as you say, well worth the effort--I know; I had the radio/CD player in my bike for almost a year without them.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:50 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Another informative post Carl! Thanks and glad you got yours working.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:00 AM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same thing on a 01 police EG.
Biketronics module
Hogtunes speakers
sony radio
handlebar controls from ebay
a bit of head scratching when wiring.
all works great.