Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retro Radio Install Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:22 PM
sheetzakiss
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retro Radio Install Kit

I have a 1999 FLH Standard.
I'm thinking of getting this product (RetroRadio Intall Kit), but looked at my wire harness and can't really see where this unit would plug in. The left handle bar control plug looks open.....can't see that being it.
Is there a 24 pin plug somewhere?..... is that where it plugs in?
Any help would be great!......Thanks

Old 10-25-2007, 04:46 PM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Retro Radio Install Kit

if you have the radio control on the handlebars below the turn signal switches then you have the fairing wiring for a radio...if not then no radio wires. However that is not a problem...if you are a decent wrench and dont mind working on your bike.
You can purchase on ebay a set of used swithes/housing for a radio. The right side is common, the left side is rare. I got a set for 25$ & 40$ respectively last winter. Once you get that then eveything else is fairly straigt forward.
Let me know it you are interested in any more info and i will get you the parts list. No need to waste my time and yours if you are not going to do it yourself. Plan on 500$ or so for everything (if you do not already have the radio switches...maybe 100$ less if you have them. You can get a sony radio and the speaker all after market and save a ton of $$$ over HD stuff.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

JB is correct; if you have handlebar radio controls you will find a black,23 place AMP connector inside the fairing. Each handlebar control wiring terminates at a 12 place Deutsch connector. Both should have two empty slots because those are used for the handlebar cruise control switches.

That AMP connector would normally be plugged into the back of the HD radio; with the Retro Radio kit, the plug connects to the Biketronics interface at one end with the other end of the interface plugging into the rear of the Sony headunit, except for seven wires that are spliced to speakers, power (2) and ground.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:55 PM
sheetzakiss
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks................ yes I have both side controls on the handle bars.
Inside the Fairing, the right handle bar control block has a wire harness going into it but the left does not.
Is this common? Yes I do all my own repairs.
I did find the 23 pin plug..... thanks for the help

Old 10-26-2007, 12:43 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If the left handlebar connector doesn't plug into anything, you don't have left turn signal, horn, or hi/low beam functions. I believe this a "normal" feature for Canadian bikes, so don't worry about it.

Go to Ebay or Zanotti's and buy the HD service manual for your bike--you'll be glad you did--it will have excellent wiring diagrams and information on the various connectors fordoing your own repairs.