Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trask or a 120r

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 03:06 PM
Frank Dukes
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dark horse bottom end and a fuel moto 117. gets you reliability and power.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:12 PM
FastBagger07
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Give Frank a call over at DragosBikeWorks { 815-765-1790}.Talk to him about one of his 124" motors.I had a chance to ride his personal bike this past weekend with one of his 124's in it.All I can say is I was very impressed it had more than enough power and got great gas mileage to boot.If I remember right they come with a 1 yr. warranty.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:24 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Had the same issue to decided on. On mechanic friend advised Trask. Others said 120R but don't put it in the bagger put it in the Dyna.

Went with the Street Bob. The result was amazing. The scheduler/head tech did his first engine build when he was 11. His family owned a HD dealership. He is a top gun in the area of building up HD engines.

The injector size, breather size and the tune from the SE Pro tuner were spot on. I went with V&H staggered short shots which were not the best for power but I wanted their look and in the light Dyna platform a little less power was not noticeable. Can add another exhaust at any time.

Not strong up to three K. BS!! X's 10 that thing is scary tough right from idle on. I have about 1,100 miles on it so far and it works as a daily cruiser with ease. Not temperamental at all. Amazingly the mpg's kept rising at each fill up and the last one was 47.1 mpg!

I did a roll on at 70 mph in 6th gear and just at 3 seconds the needle was sweeping past a 100.

I'm very old school. I will take displacement over a jacked up smaller engine every time. It cost me $ 7.7K and that included an blank ECM for the 120R as I took the existing one with the 103 as it had a tune for it. It will go into my son's 06 Dyna.

Now I'm thinking of one for the Low Rider and the Freewheeler. I'm 74 so I might as well live before I die.

Want more than the 135 hp at the rear wheel the 120R yields? Just install the 12.5 to 1 compression piston. It will do 150+ hp at the rear wheel.

Last edited by lh4x4; 05-29-2015 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:55 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I want to see how many people actually tour with a turbo or supercharger. ill bet most who own them have vary few miles on them. Id also like to see how all the pipes and ducting hold up after long term use with v twin vibration and heat issues.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:48 AM
Jesse_81
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe no one stops to think about how little the stock bottom end can take before it'll **** the bed. Heard alot of bad things about the stock bearings in these motors (have no experience personally just hear-say) and also the cranks coming apart (I know a mechanic that has seen this over and over), however anyone that is truley into performance motors knows that forced induction on a stock bottom end is a bad idea or at least has an expiration date on it. It's only a bandaid for lack of power rather than a fix. Slap it on and bam it goes fast, right up until it pops... I'd be hard pressed to believe that a stock 103 would provide very much longevity at all after a turbo system was put on there. At least the way I ride lol. If you got a turbo then obviously you're wanting to let it rip often being you're a power junkey to some degree. Seeing is believing so when I see one of these setups that has the motor put through the ringer from light to light with 50 or 60k on it then I'll be on board. Until then I remain skeptical. So my vote is neither option here for the money we're talking about. I'd spend a bit more and go S&S all day. I've owned several bikes with S&S power plants in them before and I stand by them. Stronger, better motor, providing more bang for your buck (that's including longevity). If Staying with the HD power plant is really your thing and wanting reliability & longevity there is also the 120s (basically de-tuned 120r from what I understand) which is again inferior to a S&S motor for about the same coin. Just my humble .02. Rather be safe than sorry is my mindset. A lot of money to learn the hard way.