Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Road King "Help" need answers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 08:19 PM
Donnie 1991
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Road King "Help" need answers.

hello all, hey I have a question about the Harley efi pro tuner kit #32109-08c " Does it make that much difference in the bike, I mean is it worth it, looking at around $700. to buy one off ebay and have the dealer Dyno it, right now I have K&N air filter and not sure what kind they r but after market pipes, the bike also has the 1550 kit , stock cams, I have a extra set of heads I was going to have ported and polished and get put on, not sure about cams, any advice about the cams would be Great. Do most my ridding out on interstate, Bike runs good the way it is, But like everyone else, like to get a little more out of her, only have around 14,050 miles on her.Been reading every night about the efi tuners, and to be honest , I am read out, So guess what I am asking, would I be better off with just having the heads done, and maybe a cam, and forget about the tuner, or go with the tuner, and wait on the heads. Sorry so long, just not sure witch way to go, wish I could do it all,but that's not happing right now. Thanks in advance. Donnie, ps anyone from the Ames,Ia or Des Moines, that know how to do work on them would like to get your info. thanks.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:27 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,378 Likes on 2,626 Posts

The part itself makes no difference at all, its all in the tune - and thus who does the tune.

For $480 or so, you can get a Power Vision from http://www.fuelmotousa.com, they will ship it with a map on it that was the result of a dyno tune with your part combination.

And if you change parts, they'll give you a new map, free, for life.

Give em a call, they'll walk you through it. Great customer service at Fuel Moto.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:44 AM
Donnie 1991
Intermediate
Default Thank u

thank u for your reply, is that what u r running, can I ask u, do they really make that much of a difference, guess what I am asking is, can u really tell that much of a improvement the way the bike runs. Just trying to fig out the best way to spend the funds. I have heard of a lot of people that have put the efi tuners on their bikes, and r not happy with them, Like I said just not sure of witch way I should go. Thank u for your Help. Donnie.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:55 PM
BlackGROOVE
Advanced

Hey Donnie, Keith is right. I will tell you to get the tuner first. Then do your heads etc. I found out the hard way. Newbie here, had the shop talk me into up grading to gear cams and then when I went to pick it up found it was running like crap because they failed to tell me it now needs a tuner to run right. Get your tuner, so when you do your heads you will be good to go. Do the heads first and it will probly run rough until you get a tuner. I run the Power commander and had mine dyno tuned, Night and Day difference. It really woke the bike up. All I did was cams, air cleaner and already had open exhaust.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:40 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have an SE tuner, and I like that it isn't piggybacked on the bike, it flashes your ECM, so you don't have anything on the bike that you have to find room for. That being said if I had to buy a tuner now, I would probably buy a powervision tuner, because of Fuelmoto , they are really good about getting things right, and the price is right.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:07 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I would talk to the guys doing your head work and see what they say. If you are going to go back in the engine you are going to need a tune especially if you are going with cams and I would if you are bothering doing the heads.

I am happy with my powervision. The tune that fuelmoto supplied works good. I had the sert on my last bike and couldn't tell the difference.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:43 PM
akodust
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on the fuelmoto tuner...good advice.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:49 PM
akodust
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill03E
I have an SE tuner, and I like that it isn't piggybacked on the bike, it flashes your ECM, so you don't have anything on the bike that you have to find room for. That being said if I had to buy a tuner now, I would probably buy a powervision tuner, because of Fuelmoto , they are really good about getting things right, and the price is right.
+ you can transfer the pv to another bike and get another map...se tuner you gotta pay more $$ to marry it to another bike..I guess in other words marriage and divorce is easier with the pv.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:51 AM
Donnie 1991
Intermediate
Default 2003 Road King Classic with the 1550 kit stock cam's

Originally Posted by BlackGROOVE
Hey Donnie, Keith is right. I will tell you to get the tuner first. Then do your heads etc. I found out the hard way. Newbie here, had the shop talk me into up grading to gear cams and then when I went to pick it up found it was running like crap because they failed to tell me it now needs a tuner to run right. Get your tuner, so when you do your heads you will be good to go. Do the heads first and it will probly run rough until you get a tuner. I run the Power commander and had mine dyno tuned, Night and Day difference. It really woke the bike up. All I did was cams, air cleaner and already had open exhaust.
Thanks for the reply, I see u have a 04 road king, nice look ride, can I ask what cam's u went with on it, u said u have the 1550 kit also. Like I said, I have a extra set of heads I want to get ported, and go with a cam to match, I am 61 yrs and don't ride my bike crazy, and don't rev it up, just,looking for a good all around cam to go with the heads, so when riding on interstate if I want the extra passing power I have it, if u know what I mean, everyone I have asked I get a different answer, am so confused, don't know what to do, don't have a tack on bike, so not sure what the rpm's is going 75 to 80 mph. Thanks' for the help. Donnie.