Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock air cleaner over screamin eagle

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 06:03 PM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts
Default stock air cleaner over screamin eagle

I have the Screamin Eagle stage one air cleaner kit on my 03 RK classic. Its a cool looking breather but I hate the noise I hear out of it. The HD dealer I purchased the bike from said the stock outer cover will go over top and it does and I don't hear that awefull sound however I'm wondering if it defeats the purpose of the high flow breather. It does not touch the filter in any way but I'm wondering if it restricts the flow and is a hinderance to the bike breathing the way it should be. I have kerker high flow mufflers with the stock cross over. I don't mind the look of the stock outer cover. If it is an issue are there any high flow breathers that don't have that annoying noise they make.

randy

Old 11-27-2015, 07:26 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

the stock football cover will muffle the noise some- used they run about $35...my local classifieds is always maggoty with them.
as long as it will work with the filter you have- mounts on a center bolt

it'll block some, but it won;t muffle all the noise

I usually ride with my thigh tight to the tank, that blocks alot of the intake noise.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-28-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:35 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,308 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Originally Posted by cajun1957a
I have the Screamin Eagle stage one air cleaner kit on my 03 RK classic. Its a cool looking breather but I hate the noise I hear out of it. The HD dealer I purchased the bike from said the stock outer cover will go over top and it does and I don't hear that awefull sound however I'm wondering if it defeats the purpose of the high flow breather. It does not touch the filter in any way but I'm wondering if it restricts the flow and is a hinderance to the bike breathing the way it should be. I have kerker high flow mufflers with the stock cross over. I don't mind the look of the stock outer cover. If it is an issue are there any high flow breathers that don't have that annoying noise they make.

randy
I have a Arlen Ness Big Sucker with a Alley Cat cover and you're right they are pretty noisy. My wife's bike has the same set up but the stock cover and it's much quieter. Both bikes are stage 1 and have DynoJet Power Vision tuners and I can't tell a bit of difference in power, (her's is a 15 Limited and mine a 14), between them. So i would say the cover will not limit the amount of air getting to the filter.
Good Luck

Old 11-28-2015, 09:14 AM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I like the sound, but that's me. The S&S Airstream will fit and has a nice look.
http://www.sscycle.com/product/Airst...ck-p25462.html.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:37 PM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernal
I have a Arlen Ness Big Sucker with a Alley Cat cover and you're right they are pretty noisy. My wife's bike has the same set up but the stock cover and it's much quieter. Both bikes are stage 1 and have DynoJet Power Vision tuners and I can't tell a bit of difference in power, (her's is a 15 Limited and mine a 14), between them. So i would say the cover will not limit the amount of air getting to the filter.
Good Luck
I have a Kury free breather with the Alley Cat cover. Yes, the reversion is noisy.... Personally, I just don't like the look of the football cover.
Has anyone tried putting a 2014 or later cover? Does it cover? (The Kury looks just like the Arlen Ness but has filter material on the top too....)

Old 11-28-2015, 06:36 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Stock air intakes provide many purposes. When you move from stock, you comprise some of them.
1. Reduce blow back flames from carb backfires. Keep from burning rider.
2. Reduce intake noise to below specifications set by manufacturer and government.
3. Filter the intake air to protect engine and intake electronics.
4. Decorate the motor.

This is one of the reasons that often the aftermarket can flow better than OEM. They do not need to address these restrictions.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:50 AM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts

You guys are kidding,right? If your exhaust and sound system can't drown out the sound of the air intake,why not just sell your bike and put the cash on a down payment for a Tesla...

Old 11-29-2015, 04:36 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by tfi racing
You guys are kidding,right? If your exhaust and sound system can't drown out the sound of the air intake,why not just sell your bike and put the cash on a down payment for a Tesla...
I can't speak for the others, but my gripe is at idle. That is when the stereo's attenuation kicks in and the pipes are reasonable. The annoying reversion sound is louder than both and gets on my nerves like a nagging wife.... someone else's wife, that is.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:27 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,308 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Originally Posted by Hate Work
I have a Kury free breather with the Alley Cat cover. Yes, the reversion is noisy.... Personally, I just don't like the look of the football cover.
Has anyone tried putting a 2014 or later cover? Does it cover? (The Kury looks just like the Arlen Ness but has filter material on the top too....)
Arlen Ness makes a Big Sucker that uses the stock cover. The filter is different than for the Alley Cat but the backing plate is the same.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:57 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

FWIW if you have a 14 and later which only has exhaust changes, there is no real need to swap the air cleaner, unless you're changing for looks. The stock Rushmore air cleaner setup will flow more air than a stock engine with exhaust changes needs.

Quick Reply: stock air cleaner over screamin eagle