Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Suspension Setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 12:15 AM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Progressive Suspension Setup

With my 2007 RK Custom I have a bit of handling issues on long sweeping turns. Gets bouncy and i am all over the place. I am looking to tighten up the ride.

Below is the setup. I am looking to install it within the month:
Progressive Suspension 31-2500 Mono-Tube Fork Cartridge Kit
Progressive Suspension 444-4061B Black 12" Standard Big Mile Riders Rear Suspension Shock

Hoping this setup is be good.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:38 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Are you riding solo or 2-up? Some suspension set-ups are better at dealing with a loaded bike than others.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:34 AM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Received 204 Likes on 116 Posts

If you're looking to "tighten" things up then I would definitely add a Progressive Touring Link as well.
http://www.progressivesuspension.com...4/touring-link

Old 03-05-2016, 06:42 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,432 Likes on 21,388 Posts

Yes the touring link (for the 08's and down)should be a must to go along with the other progressive's.
I have their 940's on the rear and the mono's on the front.
Pretty content with both.
Make sure you get the sag set right on the rears.
If you don't know anybody that can help you or don't want to experiment you can always get progressive to do it at a rally.
They are good folks to do deal with!!

Old 03-05-2016, 08:04 AM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

I have basically the same setup except 13" in the rear. I honestly didn't notice a big difference with the rear shocks over stock, but the monotubes were a huge improvement.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:14 AM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

On my first ride home with my newly acquired (used) 2000 Ultra, I experienced wobble on my first wide, sweeping, high-speed freeway on-ramp experience. The bike has 40k+ miles on it. Even when I didn't have wobble, whenever in a high-speed turn that pushed that pushed the bike's limits a little, it would bounce and yaw enough to make things a little unsettling.

With the help of a lot of people here, I decided the best solution for my wallet was Progressive 444s and Monotubes, and a Bagger Brace. I didn't like the design of Progressive's solution, and I felt the Bagger Brace looked just as effective as the Tour Track for a lower price.

I've installed the 444s and that improvement alone made an very noticable improvement in handling. I suspect those rear air shocks were toast, which accounts for how much improvement I got from the 444s. The deficiencies up front are now very obvious though, and the next step (which I'm undertaking now) is the install the Monotubes. There's a good thread underway about what it takes to install them. It's in the Touring forum and it's titled "Time Required to Remove & Replace Fork Tubes". https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ork-tubes.html

If you decide to go with the Bagger Brace or the True Track, I strongly suggest you check the straightness of the cross member first. If it's bent (like mine is, and like I suspect most are) you'll need to straight it. For that I suggest you buy the True-Track "X-Member Tool" for $50. http://true-track.com/tt_products.html. I don't know about the True-Track, but you can not install the Bagger Brace unless your cross member is STRAIGHT.

EDIT: I'll sell you my X-Member Tool at a discount when I'm done with it in a week or so, if you're interested!

Last edited by Z; 03-05-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:06 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been keeping my eye on the true track frame stabilizer as well. I think my stock air shocks are done. I'm always having to add air. So i think that the 444 Rear shocks were essential regardless of getting the true track.
Having said that i want to progressively [no pun intended] add these modifications to determine what was the issues in the turns. So the suspension rear and front, with the idea that the True Track might be needed next. That looks like an easy add if i need to. I know some guys that have the 444s suppose to be adjustable on the fly but from what i've heard not so simple to adjust with a simple twist.

Is the progressive touring link basically the same as teh true track? I have people i know that went with true track so i'll keep that product.

Someone asked what riding i was doing. I do about 90% solo riding. This typically happens during long sweeping at about 75-80MPH.