Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the HD Infotainment sytem use gpx files?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 09:11 AM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GaJayhawk
A lot of good points have been made in this thread. For me, I've found there are two basic situations I in which use my GPS. The first is to punch in a destination and ask the GPS to "get me there". I don't care about the routing, I just want to get to my destination. The HD GPS does fine with that, and I've had minimal issues. The second is following a pre-planned route, imported from a ride planning source like HD Ride Planner. I've encountered a lot of unintended outcomes with this use of the GPS.

I've recently been on two separate weeklong trips with 8 to 10 bikes, with routes planned in HD Ride Planner, and with the routes uploaded to the several bikes having the Boom GPS. We experienced a lot of "issues" with the route not running as planned, and also, the route running differently on bikes with the same route plan uploaded. We learned a lot about GPS routing and the HD system as a result. There are a lot of variables to manage.

HD Ride Planner is generally easy to use, however, it does not have the option to select planning "preferences" that affect the algorithm that determines a routing. Between Locations and Waypoints, you can shape the route you see on your computer screen, but it is the Ride Planner algorithm that is interpreting those places and shaping the route. There are several good points about how to shape the route in Ride Planner in this string. However, when you export that "route", it is exported from Ride Planner as a .gpx file, and a .gpx file is nothing more than a list of individual Location and Waypoint coordinates. You're are not exporting a "route" per se, you are simply exporting a series of places the importing GPS will route through.

When your GPS device imports your .gpx file, it uses its own routing algorithm to calculate the routing between each location and waypoint. Most GPS's (HD, Garmin, TomTom, Magellan, etc) have slightly different algorithms, and typically have user settings that can modify the routing process. (Shortest, Fastest, etc). So, it is very likely that a single .gpx file uploaded to different GPS devices will produce a variation from the originally intended route across the different GPS devices.

Just to get the same routing on several different bikes with the Boom GPS there are several variables that have to be the same: Software version (current 1.19.2), Map Database (most current is 2014 Q2, but Rushmore bikes range from 2012 Q2 to 2014 Q2), Preferences (Fastest, shortest, etc), Avoidances (Highways, Un-paved, Tollways, etc). If any of those 4 variables aren't the same across all bikes, you'll likely get a variation of the route on the different bikes. Each GPS will get you to the next location or waypoint, but the route calculation may vary because of differences in any of those four.
Hmmm. I know just what you're saying + wonder now if it's even feasible to expect this to work.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:27 AM
LoneRiderFLH
Road Warrior
Received 951 Likes on 413 Posts

Over simplistic? There is a difference between clicking on "saved" v. "Trips." If I click a "trip," will it conform to Ride Planner no matter my settings?

Old 07-05-2016, 10:34 AM
CRocks
Road Master

Originally Posted by LoneRiderFLH
Over simplistic? There is a difference between clicking on "saved" v. "Trips." If I click a "trip," will it conform to Ride Planner no matter my settings?
So when a route is imported, does it go into "saved" or "trips"? Can I expect it to work or not? I need it to follow the exact route, not take base liberty + go where it pleases.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:39 AM
rparnel1
Tourer
Received 150 Likes on 59 Posts

I have also had issues with the rideplanner route being different the the infotainment route. Got it mostly solved by using a LOT of waypoints. Typically have 30 to 40 waypoints on a 250 mile ride. Still have some routing issues between the two; but they are minor.

Sometimes, when we put the same trip (GPX file) on 2 different bikes, with both set to "scenery", there will still be some differences in routing. The differences are usually minor. Just something we have learned to live with.

What is really aggravating is that I must zoom way the hell in on rideplanner when dropping a waypoint to make sure the stupid thing doesnt put the waypoint 100 ft off the road. I'm talking zooming almost all the way in. Garmin Basecamp or Mapsource is not nearly as prone to this as rideplanner.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:45 AM
CRocks
Road Master

Originally Posted by rparnel1
I have also had issues with the rideplanner route being different the the infotainment route. Got it mostly solved by using a LOT of waypoints. Typically have 30 to 40 waypoints on a 250 mile ride. Still have some routing issues between the two; but they are minor.

Sometimes, when we put the same trip (GPX file) on 2 different bikes, with both set to "scenery", there will still be some differences in routing. The differences are usually minor. Just something we have learned to live with.

What is really aggravating is that I must zoom way the hell in on rideplanner when dropping a waypoint to make sure the stupid thing doesnt put the waypoint 100 ft off the road. I'm talking zooming almost all the way in. Garmin Basecamp or Mapsource is not nearly as prone to this as rideplanner.
Well in defense of the HD system, I gotta admit the Garmins will do the same thing dropping waypoints. You gotta make sure it's exactly on the road in the lane you're traveling. AND, if you ever use exact coordinates, you beter drive right thru that exact point on the ground or it'll keep routing you back until you do.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:06 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 577 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by GaJayhawk
A lot of good points have been made in this thread. For me, I've found there are two basic situations I in which use my GPS. The first is to punch in a destination and ask the GPS to "get me there". I don't care about the routing, I just want to get to my destination. The HD GPS does fine with that, and I've had minimal issues. The second is following a pre-planned route, imported from a ride planning source like HD Ride Planner. I've encountered a lot of unintended outcomes with this use of the GPS.

I've recently been on two separate weeklong trips with 8 to 10 bikes, with routes planned in HD Ride Planner, and with the routes uploaded to the several bikes having the Boom GPS. We experienced a lot of "issues" with the route not running as planned, and also, the route running differently on bikes with the same route plan uploaded. We learned a lot about GPS routing and the HD system as a result. There are a lot of variables to manage.

HD Ride Planner is generally easy to use, however, it does not have the option to select planning "preferences" that affect the algorithm that determines a routing. Between Locations and Waypoints, you can shape the route you see on your computer screen, but it is the Ride Planner algorithm that is interpreting those places and shaping the route. There are several good points about how to shape the route in Ride Planner in this string. However, when you export that "route", it is exported from Ride Planner as a .gpx file, and a .gpx file is nothing more than a list of individual Location and Waypoint coordinates. You're are not exporting a "route" per se, you are simply exporting a series of places the importing GPS will route through.

When your GPS device imports your .gpx file, it uses its own routing algorithm to calculate the routing between each location and waypoint. Most GPS's (HD, Garmin, TomTom, Magellan, etc) have slightly different algorithms, and typically have user settings that can modify the routing process. (Shortest, Fastest, etc). So, it is very likely that a single .gpx file uploaded to different GPS devices will produce a variation from the originally intended route across the different GPS devices.

Just to get the same routing on several different bikes with the Boom GPS there are several variables that have to be the same: Software version (current 1.19.2), Map Database (most current is 2014 Q2, but Rushmore bikes range from 2012 Q2 to 2014 Q2), Preferences (Fastest, shortest, etc), Avoidances (Highways, Un-paved, Tollways, etc). If any of those 4 variables aren't the same across all bikes, you'll likely get a variation of the route on the different bikes. Each GPS will get you to the next location or waypoint, but the route calculation may vary because of differences in any of those four.
Good Post! Explained the issues quite well.

I will add one more point: even with all variables matched up, a discrepancy can still exist between similar GPS units due to the accuracy of the GPS units while in use.

To further explain this, 3 of us with 2014 Limiteds, all purchased within 3 weeks of one another, all with our GPS preferences set exactly the same, running a GPX file loaded into all 3 bikes from the same USB stick road the route 2 days in a row.

First day we pulled up to an intersection where the waypoint had been selected as the intersection. Two of us had instructions to go straight, one of us has instructions to turn right.

Next day we pulled up to the same intersection & we experienced the same issue; 2 instructed to go straight, one instructed to turn right. Only this time, my bike told me to turn right.

We concluded that the GPS fix (which is only accurate to +/- 7 to 10 feet varied enough, day to day, that the same locations were interpreted differently by the GPS algorithm and caused the direction error.

The only day to day difference was that the bike in the right side of the lane was the only that said to turn right. I was one of the two bikes in the left side of the lane the first day, I was the bike in the right side of the lane the second day.

Changing the waypoint to a location just beyond the intersection got all 3 bikes to give go straight instructions with no one being instructed to turn at that intersection.

Weird, but all part of the learning curve to try to figure out how to make this unit tell us to go where we actually intended to go.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:45 AM
CRocks
Road Master

Changing the waypoint to a location just beyond the intersection got all 3 bikes to give go straight instructions with no one being instructed to turn at that intersection.

That's a good point. On either the Garmin or HD nav systems, if the unit does go off route, exiting the route + entering the next waypoint from where you're at puts them back on track. You often have to do this at stops. Sometimes it will not check off a planned stop. I've noticed if I use addresses + come close, it usually checks it off. If I enter actual coordinates, you gotta ride directly thru that exact spot.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:56 AM
CRocks
Road Master

OK, one last question, I hope! I went back to Ride Planner + added a bunch of waypoints as suggested here. As soon as I got to 20, I got a warning. I thought the lastest/greatest software version allowed 99 waypoints into the nav system? What good is that if the Ride Planner only allows 20?

Old 07-06-2016, 07:07 AM
rparnel1
Tourer
Received 150 Likes on 59 Posts

It is only a warning. Click thru it and keep adding waypoints until the route is like you want it.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:32 AM
CRocks
Road Master

Thanx much!