Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a Harley Bagger & need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 04:04 PM
The Silver Viking
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a Harley Bagger & need advice

Alright Fellow Hogmen/Hog-women,
For starters I'm a tall guy, 6"4' but I am a current Deluxe owner and former Rocker C owner. I have always been into the bikes made for around town. Now that I have retired from the military I have more time to take cross country trips. I want to get on the hog and just ride and we'll see if/when I come back. I guess it depends on whether I find a biker city where I can ride all year with a great brotherhood to run the streets with. I can honestly understand exactly why the other war vets came back and formed MCs. You just don't have that brotherhood in MY real life like you do down range. I can't explain it and I have been out of the country so long I don't know where in the U.S. to start.

Anyway, on to the questions about bikes. I want to get a Bagger now to be able to take extended trips and bring my crap. My Deluxe is paid, but I don't want to buy a $20k bike. I'm looking for a private party sale of 90s or 2ks Bagger. I don't know if a 90's Bagger will have enough engine power with the 88. Also, Harley has so many versions of baggers, I don't know where to begin. For instance, the whole fixed fairing thing. Which is better and which models have fixed fairings? I don't have a constant passenger, so I don't think I'm a pure touring deluxe rear seat guy.

Street glide, Road Glide, Ultra Glide, Electra Glide, etc... Man, it's a lot to figure out and even dealer salesmen aren't sure about everything.

I'm looking to go coast to coast but stop in cities for around town stuff along the way.

Thanks!

Old 05-27-2016, 04:20 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 22,178 Likes on 8,522 Posts

Road Glide. You could probably find a used one from the 2006 time frame that won't set you back a whole lot them have the motor worked over to refresh it and maybe add some cubic inches and some ponies.

The following users liked this post:
The Silver Viking (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 04:25 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,573 Likes on 1,497 Posts

If you're looking used at late 90's models. I can't stress enough to expand your search to an 02 model,best year IMO. Road Glide vs Electra/SG has been debated many times on here,and without a test ride it would impossible for me to choose for you.

The Silver Viking (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 05:00 PM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

I am betting that with your height you will be most comfortable on a Road Glide. Not to mention they handle nimbly similar to what you're used to. And nothing handles as well as a RG on the highway. Just my two cents, but you're buying so I offered. I agree with the test ride theory as well. I am also willing to bet that you will come to the same conclusion after comparing the RG to a non-fixed fairing touring model. Thank you for your service from a fellow vet and good luck in your search!

The Silver Viking (05-28-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 08:05 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by The Silver Viking
...I don't know if a 90's Bagger will have enough engine power with the 88.
..... i'm on an 88" and it does everything i need out on the road.
..... if you want a little more oomph, a 95 or 98 kit will give it to ya with minimal hassle

...For instance, the whole fixed fairing thing. Which is better and which models have fixed fairings?
....... Road Glide's the only one

...I'm looking to go coast to coast
...... lemme tell ya, the Road Glide eats highway miles by the hundreds, set the cruise & let'r roll
.......... of course, i could be biased

Old 05-27-2016, 08:16 PM
black n white
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to test ride and decide for your self. I wanted a Road Glide so bad that I test road four trying to force the fit. Bought a Street Glide instead and have never regretted it. Loved it so much, l replaced it with the CVO I own now. One thing is for sure, you won't regret getting a tour pac with whatever you chose. I don't always run mine, but winter and trips, nothing beats it.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:28 PM
Onedef1
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Hate to say it, but you being 6'4", you should check out a Victory... Sorry!! Don't hunt me down and kill me!!

All said and done, the new Vic's are bad ***. Credit where it's due.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:34 PM
Herd Mentality
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by black n white
You have to test ride and decide for your self. I wanted a Road Glide so bad that I test road four trying to force the fit. Bought a Street Glide instead and have never regretted it. Loved it so much, l replaced it with the CVO I own now. One thing is for sure, you won't regret getting a tour pac with whatever you chose. I don't always run mine, but winter and trips, nothing beats it.
THIS! I was making the move from a Fat Bob to a bagger and had myself convinced I was going to a RoadGlide. The test rides (multiple because I to was trying to force it) just weren't to my liking. Ride them all, multiple times.

As far as price, I was patient and eventually found a really low mileage Rushmore Street Glide for $17k a few months back. It was the very top of my budget, but glad I held out for the Rushmore.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:53 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

I ride an 07 Ultra Classic and love it. The wife and I ride two up a lot and it's very comfortable for us.

To address a group to ride with, look up the CVMA, Combat Vetrans Motorcycle Association. They are a group of vets who have all served in combat zones and their mission is to help fellow vets. I have a friend who's a member and we ride with them when we're in the Coca, Fl area. What a great group of people! They have chapters nationwide so you might even check near you. I think you might find that feeling of family you're looking for.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:54 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 637 Likes on 508 Posts

02 for low budget. 03-06 aren't to bad either, 02-06 have can chain tensioner problems,they can be corrected,parts are everywhere.07-08 bastard years.09-13 good,14 rush mores can't beat wet heads. 02 first year of new swing arm and delhi injection last year of forged crank and timken lefty bearings,but its a 14 year old bike bushings and gaskets will dry out.should be able to find a good deal on a 09-10 for around 12,000. as for with model your on your own.

Quick Reply: Considering a Harley Bagger & need advice