Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Temp Gauge Installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Oil Temp Gauge Installed

Thanks to the forum members who shared their experience here for installing the HD oil temp gauge using the extra drain plug in the oil pan to locate the sending unit. It made installation on my '04 EG much simpler.

One mistake I made was to try and attach the #6-32 nuts that secure the ground, power, and signal connectors to the back of the oil temp gauge with my fingers. Dropped two, lost one of those, before my buddy suggested using a nut driver, 1/4". DUH???

For my application, the adapter was a 3/8" MaleNPT X 1/8" FemaleNPT. Also, I relocated the voltmeter to the old air temp gauge location and installed the oil temp gauge above the oil pressure gauge.

Thanks, again, to the forum members who posted the "How To" alternative to HD's insane (for me at least) sending unit install at the oil lines.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:33 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Oil Temp Gauge Installed

I have patty caked with this idea for some time, however, I worry about the new wire placed on the bottom of the oil pan to accomodate this mod getting snagged on something and yanked out..........any chance of this happening or am I confused on the layout of the way you guys are doing this mod?

Old 05-28-2007, 12:24 AM
BillyG0856
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watching this 'thread' with GREAT interest. Im planning on installing the oil pressure & oil temperature gauges on my '07 EGS. Im not interested in the 'air' temperature....cause most likely, on a July afternoon here in the Houston area...you can BANK on the temp being 95 or higher...lol.

Billy G

Old 05-28-2007, 12:24 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: UltraKla$$ic

I have patty caked with this idea for some time, however, I worry about the new wire placed on the bottom of the oil pan to accomodate this mod getting snagged on something and yanked out..........any chance of this happening or am I confused on the layout of the way you guys are doing this mod?
I'll try to get a pic of mine tomorrow, but I can't imagine that happening where it is. It's well protected.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:41 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

BillyG: Installation of the oil temp gauge, according to the HD instructions, is different from earlier bikes, although you can use the extra plug in the oil pan.

UK: I am not worried about snagging anything on the wires/conduit from the sending unit in the oil pan to the frame rail. Anything substantial enough to tear the wire/conduit would be enough to take me and the bike down--that's worth being concerned about. Perhaps if I had lowered the bike I might think differently, but I doubt it. Alternatively, I would be more concerned with an oil leak due to a poor installation of the sending unit at the oil lines using the HD instructions. You do raise a valid concern and perhaps that's why HD didn't use the drain plug for locating the sending unit. But I would rather run the risk of tearing the wires and having to repair two wires (and perhaps a connector) than remove oil lines, etc. per the HD instructios. Given the thin gauge wire coming from the sending unit, a snag will tear the wires not bring the bike down.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:46 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Bob and Carl................I guess if/when I do have to take the outer fairing off to access and change my fork lowers, I'll throw one of these in the useless ambient air temp gauge space.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:26 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: UltraKla$$ic

Here's the pic I promised. You can see the sender is well up into the void, protected on all sides by the cases and frame. The wires are routed toward the right side, then up under the tank to the gauge.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4327/220390BC452F40E38D09E31D9D1FCC7C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-28-2007, 05:38 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer

iclick, just curious, what does your oil temp gage "normally" read after riding? My reads around 180 degrees after running for awhile and that is in 85 degree air temp. I also have an oil temp dip stick and it read 210 degrees at the same time. Also, I have to "peck" on the face of my gage about 20% of the time after I start up to get it to read off of zero. I hope that gets better as it "wears".

Jim

Old 05-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

Jim, just curious as I haven't done this mod yet but it's in my plans. What brand oil temp gage are you using?

Old 05-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: jimclaypool

iclick, just curious, what does your oil temp gage "normally" read after riding? My reads around 180 degrees after running for awhile and that is in 85 degree air temp. I also have an oil temp dip stick and it read 210 degrees at the same time. Also, I have to "peck" on the face of my gage about 20% of the time after I start up to get it to read off of zero. I hope that gets better as it "wears".

Jim
It takes a long, long time to warm up the oil that goes into the engine. The oil dipstick measures the outgoing oil which is at a higher temp. At 90 degs yesterday and 2 up, the oil made it to 220 degs F for a while, but, fell back to 200 degs later. Oil is amazing regarding temperature stability - almost as good as water (specific heat of oil is around 2.2 whereas water is around 4.2). Reason enough not to worry about an oil cooler here in Penna.

Quick Reply: Oil Temp Gauge Installed