Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cvo street glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 02:11 AM
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cvo street glide

2015 cvo street glide problems with handling death wobbles at speeds around 120 - 140kms had the bike back to the dealer for the forth time any ideas what could be the problem

Old 02-12-2017, 07:20 AM
ppilotmike
Road Captain
Received 106 Likes on 57 Posts

How many miles on the bike? Most of the death wobbles I have dealt with ended up being neck bearings/adjustment problems.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:08 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Check the air pressure and see if you threw a weight.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:27 AM
Sc0-
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

loose neck bearing, worn engine mounts, loose front forks in the triple tree, rubber mounted swing arm/rear engine mount combo, tire balance, tire air pressure, etc...

Been fighting it on my 2009 since i purchased it, currently have the glide pro rear mount kit installed with the AlloyArt rear stabilizer and it helps but still have some wobble at the right conditions. (85mph+ in sweeper turns is where it starts wobbling.) When i ran GlidePo front mounts, I filled them with additional poly, the wobble almost disappeared but due to vibrations the bike was breaking everything so the front mounts were replaced with HD OEM. Next step is to replace the front fork clamp design with either the CCE kit or go with an inverted fork setup by MotorcycleMetal and replace my rear 3-3 Ohlins with something better.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:39 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

I like to haul azz too, but at 120 mph with a barn door on your front forks will get a little squirrelly. (NO disrespect)

Tire pressure, and swing nut checked for proper swing would be good advise.

YB

Old 02-12-2017, 08:55 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

he's talking kms, 75~85 MPH

OP, evenly loaded saddlebags?* stock suspension? windscreen?

assuming wheels and tires are good, neck bearing check- which must be done per the manual, incl removing cables if spec'd

the batwing fairing is known to lift at speed, relieving traction from the front wheel- about 85MPH air speed is where it starts

mike

* in the famous CHP vs Kawasaki lawsuit, one of teh findings was that the chassis was not designed, or modified from the KZ900/1000 for the changed weight and balance on the CHP equipment attached to the bike.

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-12-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:00 AM
mabhd06
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ppilotmike
How many miles on the bike? Most of the death wobbles I have dealt with ended up being neck bearings/adjustment problems.
Last fall I had the wobble and the neck bearing needed adjustment.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:02 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by 55555
2015 cvo street glide problems with handling death wobbles at speeds around 120 - 140kms had the bike back to the dealer for the forth time any ideas what could be the problem
ok, here is a hard truth you need to face, its a batwing, its a big front end that adds weigh to the front forks not to mention a big *** sail that will push handling in one direction or another the faster you go.

you cannot just fix 1 problem and have it go away, you must fix all of them!!!

starting back to front.

shocks, plenty out there. olins are top tier, adjusted properly.

swingarm, bushing and cleve block inside the swing arm, replace with stabo pieces or glide pro, similar options both work. the bearings in the swing arm are key, do not overlook this step or CHEAP out.

brace, get one. many out there, most designs are similar, install it properly and UNDERSTAND how its adjusted. its not just install and ride, you need to adjust

front motor mount, change it, use mount from stabo, or glide pro, follow instructions on install.

front end, change to fork inserts vs standard HD set up, progressive seems solid, others available, heavy duty fork oil.

tighten steering head bearings and grease them with high quality grease.

change your wheel bearings!!!

air up your tires, 40 / 40 minimum front rear.

switch to dyna beads or ride on, vs static balancing

make certain your tires are not worn out or the rubber is hard.

once you do all these steps you might have fixed your issue,

however nothing will fix you have a BIG ASSed sail bolted to the front end, so to fix that, you have 3 choices

slow down
buy a road king
or buy a road glide!

i had a king, a bat wing then a road glide

i finally fixed my issue after completing all the steps above by converting my bike to a road glide.

i can easily cruise at 120 Miles per hour or 200 kph as long as i want and the road allows for this type of speed.

choice is yours

my .02, sorry for long biased post. nothing against batwings, there are just not made for high speed in my opinion.

The following users liked this post:
09 YELLOWBIRD (02-13-2017)