Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration Buzz from Footboard

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Hogwallop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vibration Buzz from Footboard

With the latest talk about crankshaft pinion runout causing vibrations, now I'm focusingfor signs of vibrations. While riding today, noticed at higher RPM's occasional vibration buzz from the footboard. I'm probably just paranoid after reading the latest posts about excessive runout causing vibrations. Granted theones that are experiencing excessive runout are feeling strong vibrations, but was wondering what may be causing the light vibrationbuzz feeling at the footboardthough? Is it normal ???

Old 10-28-2007, 07:27 PM
24guns
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vibration Buzz from Footboard

I started noticing a light buzz in the left floorboard of my 2006 about 2 weeks ago. Definetly was NOT there when I bought the bike.

I started looking around the chassis for something slightly loose and found I had a partially ripped front motor mount.
I won't have the new one put in until probably mid week, but I'm putting 2 and 2 together and figuring this could be my problem.

I see you have a 2007, so, this may not apply. But, for what its worth..........

Old 10-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Hogwallop
Tourer

24guns.........let me know when you replace the mount and if it took care of the problem. I haven't noticed this before either and I have heard others talk about motor mount issues with the 2007 models.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:03 PM
hennyk
Advanced

I have the same problem with my 07 EGC. I have had it at the harley shop on several different occasions but the techs always say it rides normal. the vibration is in the floor boards for sure. Not bad but its there and wasnt there until this summer. Just had the 5000 mile service done yesterday and its still there. I did have the ids installed on my bike and it made it a better bike but I cant seem to run down the annoying mystery vibration.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Hogwallop
Tourer

HennyK.........I have only 2500 miles and it happens in different gears around the higher RPM range. I don't have a tach, so I don't know exactly what RPM it's at. It's probably no big deal, just seems odd that it is happening with such low mileage. 5000 miles is low for any vehicle and if it's a motor mount issue, this shouldn't be happening this soon either. Someone wrote in another thread that road/weather conditionscould cause vibrations. It was rainy today while I was out. I just don't understand how the weather could effect a floorboard vibration buzz. It may have been something always there and since I've been reading about vibrations from crankshaft problems, now I'm being more vigilant. Good luck with finding the fix to your vibration. Maybe we will find the cure soon........

Old 10-28-2007, 10:04 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 07 SG did a bad vibration at 2500 rpm up, in any gear, soon as it tached 25 you felt it increase big time. I mean it felt like you had your feet on the paint can shaker at home depot, Dealer just said, yea I feel it but you know them SG's have a stiffer ride. Just traded it back to them and ate the loss. I think this will be the next, "ah its normal" unless you raise hell and keep it up.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:20 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I have about 7K on my '06 SG and have always had a little buzz in the floorboards, more noticable in gears 1 through 3 but a couple weeks ago I noticed a lot more shake at idle and a big buzz in my highway pegs that was never there before. It's driving me crazy.
I don't know if ambient temperatures can cause this but this problem coincided with the recent cooler weather change in my area.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:09 AM
Papamte
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My local mech told me he noticed some vibration in my right floorboard, and told me my rubber vibration isolator might be going out.
Just something else to throw in the mix. He says it should be ok for a while longer, but I should consider changing it before next season.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:26 AM
24guns
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Hogwallop

24guns.........let me know when you replace the mount and if it took care of the problem. I haven't noticed this before either and I have heard others talk about motor mount issues with the 2007 models.
Will do. I may be able to get to it this week, but chances are better for the weekend. I know for a fact that I have the older style mount in my 06. It was apparently never changed when the previous owner took it in for service.

I probably would have been fine with that mount for a long time, but I live back a long dirt lane that has more than its fair share of heavy bumps.
When I first got the bike, I was hitting these at decent speed. No noise. The "clack" that I know hear when hitting bumps wasn't there until after a few weeks of punishment. Looked underneath and low & behold, a partially ripped mount.

I'll update when I can.

I work with vibration nearly everyday in a laboratory, just on a much smaller scale. I can tell you....vibration and shock are a veryvenomous set indeed. Frequency, amplitude, resonance, time, temp, etc...all play a part. It is really quite interesting that our bikes hold together as well as they do over time. Just because something is corrected for a given frequency doesnt mean it is corrected when an additional 1khz of frequency is introduced.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:45 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hogwallop

Will do. I may be able to get to it this week, but chances are better for the weekend. I know for a fact that I have the older style mount in my 06. It was apparently never changed when the previous owner took it in for service.

I probably would have been fine with that mount for a long time, but I live back a long dirt lane that has more than its fair share of heavy bumps.
When I first got the bike, I was hitting these at decent speed. No noise. The "clack" that I know hear when hitting bumps wasn't there until after a few weeks of punishment. Looked underneath and low & behold, a partially ripped mount.

I'll update when I can.

I work with vibration nearly everyday in a laboratory, just on a much smaller scale. I can tell you....vibration and shock are a veryvenomous set indeed. Frequency, amplitude, resonance, time, temp, etc...all play a part. It is really quite interesting that our bikes hold together as well as they do over time. Just because something is corrected for a given frequency doesnt mean it is corrected when an additional 1khz of frequency is introduced.
[/quote]

I just had the front motor mount changed to the new style on my '06 SG. I think it causes more vibration than the old type. Sorry I had it changed since my old one was still good. My warranty is up real soon so I thought I'd get it done while it was still free. GuessI outsmarted myself.