Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Voltage Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:43 PM
hawkeye610
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Voltage Problem

I have mounted my GPS on my EG Classic. My GPS operates on 12 volt DC via plug into the cigarette lighter outlet. GPS operates fine when engine is not running. After starting engine GPS blacks out and will not work. I checked the voltage at the outlet,12 volts, but after engine starts it measures 14 volts. I assume that is the charging voltage. My question is there anywhere on the bike I can tap into to get regulated 12 volts? GPS will not work at voltages higher than 12 volts.

Thanks, HAWKEYE

Old 04-16-2008, 06:50 PM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior
Default RE: GPS Voltage Problem

Just wondering what GPS you have. My Garmin works through the cig lighter with no problem.

Ride Safe,

Mike

Old 04-16-2008, 06:52 PM
G wizz
Cruiser

That's odd ?? Does it work ok plugged in your car ? Maybe you got a dud. I'd be talking to the company themakes your GPS, and see what they have to say about your problem.As far as I know the voltage isn't regulated at 12 volts anywhere on the bike. But I've been proven wrong before. Good luck

G wizz

Old 04-16-2008, 06:58 PM
onephsyco1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try starting the bike 1st then plug your GPS in .
Maybe the surge from the Starter engaging .

Jack

Old 04-16-2008, 06:58 PM
rsofa
Road Captain

Try it in your car my guess is thats not 12v either more like 13.8 or so when running does it work in the car????
I would call the maker of the GPS also!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:00 PM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: G wizz

That's odd ?? Does it work ok plugged in your car ? Maybe you got a dud. I'd be talking to the company themakes your GPS, and see what they have to say about your problem.As far as I know the voltage isn't regulated at 12 volts anywhere on the bike. But I've been proven wrong before. Good luck

G wizz
I agree with G wizz.... Voltage onbattery should be around 13.1-13.6 up to 14 running, 12.something not running. You have a bum GPS get it checked out.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:05 PM
hawkeye610
Stage IV

GPS work fine in the car.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:07 PM
hawkeye610
Stage IV

GPS is Cobra NavOne 3000

Old 04-16-2008, 07:22 PM
MyRide7
Tourer

Hawkeye,
This may not be the case but , I would suspect (Dirty DC) AC RIPPLE on the DC from your Scooter. If you can check your bike running and not running using a VOLT METER ON AC (LOW SCALE 10v or so) you should not have any AC Voltage present with bike not running and in an idea world not have any with bike running for that matter but you may have. If this AC Voltage with bike running is +-5 VOLTS AC then this is an issue. Most electronics will filter this ac Ripple out and this will not be an issue. But some do not do thisand some can'tdo totheir design of excessive ripple on the DC is to High to do so. (Of course the best way to test this is with and "O" Scope.....but anyway to correct this go to RAdio Shack and buy a Filter (Good one) and this may take care of the issue (Mount Filter under fairing or? then run to CIG plug (Remember that this Filter may not allow you to use the CIG lighter as it may draw to much current.............The reason I know this is that my 06 Ultra had this issue and this solved the problem. If you have any questions let me know............Good Luck.......Marty.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:34 PM
hawkeye610
Stage IV

Marty, checked AC voltage with bike running and reading as 25 volts AC. Will be looking for an AC filter. Thanks for your help.

HAWKEYE

Quick Reply: GPS Voltage Problem