Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter Shaft on Tranny - What did I do wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 07:08 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Shifter Shaft on Tranny - What did I do wrong?

Oh wise ones...

Bought my old 'glide over a year ago. The shifter shaft on the tranny was wallowed out and useless.

Pulled the entire primary, replaced the shifter shaft with an HD replacement. Used the pinch bolt that came with it. Made sure the tranny splines were cleaned, use a little Green Loctite on the splines and used blue loctite on the bolt. Tourqed it to specs.

Shifter shaft was tight and right for 4500 miles. A couple weeks ago I did a decent 1000 mile run over 3 days. Checked it when I got home, the Shifter is loose and wallowed out.

I'm pissed and do not want to take the primary completly apart again, but will do it.

What did I do wrong? My FXR has never,ever had this problem on the 5 speed tranny. The FLHT is pissing me off with this.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thxs...

Old 05-22-2006, 10:25 PM
valvestem
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shifter Shaft on Tranny - What did I do wrong?

Maybe the clamp bolt that holds the shift shaft on was not tight enough? Some guys have said that they had to remove material from the pinch bolt gap area, to allow the bolt to be tightened more.
ORIGINAL: 89FLHT

Oh wise ones...

Bought my old 'glide over a year ago. The shifter shaft on the tranny was wallowed out and useless.

Pulled the entire primary, replaced the shifter shaft with an HD replacement. Used the pinch bolt that came with it. Made sure the tranny splines were cleaned, use a little Green Loctite on the splines and used blue loctite on the bolt. Tourqed it to specs.

Shifter shaft was tight and right for 4500 miles. A couple weeks ago I did a decent 1000 mile run over 3 days. Checked it when I got home, the Shifter is loose and wallowed out.

I'm pissed and do not want to take the primary completly apart again, but will do it.

What did I do wrong? My FXR has never,ever had this problem on the 5 speed tranny. The FLHT is pissing me off with this.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thxs...

Old 05-22-2006, 11:12 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen several shifters that actually had chrome inside the splined area. More than one on new bikes off the showroom floor. They work for a while, but eventually wear the points off the splines on the shaft and are junk!

Replace the shifter(s) and closely inspect the shaft to make sure it has not been damaged again.

I know it sux, but I bet that will fix it...

Old 05-23-2006, 03:45 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks gents for the tips.

It will be another fun day of wrenching!

Old 05-23-2006, 03:57 AM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

89flht,

When you say wallowed out and useless are you saying that the shift rod lever broke or slipped on the splines so you couldn't shift?

My lever is loose, too. I checked the bolt and it's tightened down. Looks like the bolt would prevent the lever from slipping off the splines due to the split between the splines where it goes through. But I could see where the looseness could eventually cause the splines in the lever to wear out and slip. I sure don't want to pull an inner primary case if I can help it. Any chance this would be under warranty?

Old 05-23-2006, 02:05 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member

RBJones,

When I said wallowed out and useless, I just meant that the POS aluminum shifter shaft splines are all rounded and no matter what I do now to tighten it, it will not clamp fully to the splined shaft on the tranny and will wobble. You are right in that the bolt will keep it on the shaft and it will work up until the point that the female splines on the shifter shaft become completly wasted and no longer mesh with the tranny shaft...

It still shifts and I can ride it, but I just want to fix it and have it "right". Pulling the inner primary sucks, and that's why I am pissed. All the gaslets and seals will need to be replaced, etc. It's just a PIA job, not real difficult, but annoying.

If I had a new bike and it did this, I would definitly have the dealer fix it under warranty. Just my .02..

Old 05-23-2006, 03:05 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 337 Posts

I have lost one shifter completely, It was a chrome aftermarket[:@], Also have ground off three others in 54,000. Now I carry Visegrips so that I can make it home. Learned that when I was broke down in Michigan.

Just seems like a cheap design to me.