Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle concern

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 08:50 AM
AF Chief
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Throttle concern

Has anyone experienced this before? I have a 02 Ultra Classic, very low mileage. Almost since I got the bike about 2 years ago I have had a concern with the throttle. When changing gears I throttle back but it takes 2 to 3 seconds for the engine to wind down. I have taken my bike to an independant mechanic who was chief mechanic at a local harley dealer. I left it with him as I was having some mods added. When I went back a few days later he told me there was nothing wrong with the throttle. On the way home it was doing the same as before. Should I be concerned about this? It must have some impact on my gas mileage which is not that great. Any advice/help will be appreciated.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:35 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

My throttle linkage has been 'sticky', before. I had to adjust it...

The first thing I'd check and try to rule-out is the mechanical action of the throttle, the dual cables. First, I'd lube the cables. Then, at rest, with the front tire (bars) pointed straight ahead, with engine OFF, if you give it 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, then let go of the grip suddenly, does the throttle (carb or throttle-body linkage) 'snap' back to idle ('0' throttle)? If not, there's an issue. I'd try this test at full right lock (bars) and full left, too. There's a procedure in the manual for adjusting the throttle cables, if memory serves. If you're at all handy with tools/procedures (AF Crew Chief?) then it's well within your means. If the throttle returns to idle with a 'snap' in all three positions with the engine off, be careful and try it all again with the engine running. Don't crank in too much throttle of course, and don't hold it too long. If you have a sense of the throttle position that's 'sticking', put in only that much 'twist'. If the throttle is sticky with the engine off, problem's likely mechanical. If it's good engine-off, but 'sticks' with engine running (the cables return to 0 fine, but idle stays high), you've got something else going on... Good luck with it... Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 03-27-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:44 AM
AF Chief
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice Alan. I am not handy with very many tools. I retired from the Air Force as a Chief Master Sergeant (E9) which still does not make me mechanically smart. Thanks again.