Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Floating Brake Rotors - Yeah!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 12:35 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Installed Floating Brake Rotors - Yeah!

One of the original equipment brake rotors on my '11 Ultra Classic warped, so I took advantage of the opportunity to install the Vivid Black Floating Brake Rotors as an upgrade at reduced cost.

Would not have believed that these would make such a difference! The braking is butter smooth, great lever feel, and I was not able to make them fade during a "spirited" run up in the mountains yesterday. The brakes have a great uniform feel to them, and I think that's due to the ability of the rotor to match up to the pads perfectly. A really great addition to the bike.

The Vivid Black Floating Brake Rotors (#44947-08A) look a bit better in the catalog than they do in person, but they perform very well indeed!

Old 07-31-2011, 02:59 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

Did you not notice the weight of those rotors 7+ Lbs each? Your stock rotor was 4.2 lbs/each. Those rotors are two piece rotors and originally sold as simi-floating as they do not float as per real floating rotor. Those have "precision rivets" and not floating buttons/springs, or washers. HDF discussion LINK

Old 07-31-2011, 04:27 PM
SIU 96
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rotors look good on your UC . Sharp ride!

Old 07-31-2011, 05:19 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Did you not notice the weight of those rotors 7+ Lbs each? Your stock rotor was 4.2 lbs/each. Those rotors are two piece rotors and originally sold as simi-floating as they do not float as per real floating rotor. Those have "precision rivets" and not floating buttons/springs, or washers. HDF discussion LINK
Link really did not say anything but show a rotor that cost $400.00.

I have these on my Road King (and very soon on my Limited). The work very well and have eliminated any oscillation.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:21 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

FastHarley, I don't know what you know, obviously, but I can say this: the brakes are performing better than any Harley I have owned. They activate more linearly, the "pulsing" from the ABS is totally gone, and absolutely do not fade under heavy, constant use in the mountains as I usually experience with the stock rotors.

Of course, it could just be my imagination...