Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to Add Electronic Cruise Control to 2009 FLHTP

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:43 PM
simplewell
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to Add Electronic Cruise Control to 2009 FLHTP

Hi All,

I'm looking to add an electronic cruise control to my 2009 FLHTP and I haven't been able to find a whole lot of input online and my local dealer near Chicago doesn't have anyone whose done it before. I havent called cruise mount yet.

I've got the manual for the 2009 FLHT plus the additional manual for the police model. I looked up the cruise kit (77196-08) for the civilian FLHT and the instructions don't have any wiring detail, but the quick summary is this:
1) Remove fairing
2) find and separate harness' 22A and 22B
3) prop brake lever with 5/32" shim
4) loosen brake lever/master cylinder
5) remove upper and lower switch housing assembly
6) be careful with throttle stop shoe
7) connect new switch from cruise kit to harness 22B
8) install new switch on bars
9) find and separate harness' 105A and 105B
10) install fairing switch into fairing
11) wire fairing switch to 105B as follows
-orange/violet to pin 4
-red/green to pin 5
-black/green with terminal to pin 12
-black/green without terminal to be isolated electrical tape
12) connect 105A back to 105B
13) reinstall fairing

So the differences between the wiring diagrams are that the FLHTP is missing all the three of the pins for the cruise control at the ECM and the 105A and B harness'.

So from what I can tell all you really have to do is run a few wires from the fairing switch to bypass the missing 105A and B and run a few wires from the 22A and B harness' to the ECM.

If you look at the books the summary goes like this

-Run one wire from the new 22A harness pin 11 over the 1A and B harness to the 78B harness pin 34 at the ECM (Cruise resume/accelerate)
-Run one wire from the new 22A harness pin 12 over the 1A and B harness to the 78B harness pin 22 at the ECM (Cruise set/coast)
-Run one wire from the new 22A harness pin 1 over the missing 105A and B harness to the orange/violet wire on the fairing switch
-Run one wire from the fairing switch Red/Green wire over the missing 105A and B harness and over the 1A and B harness to the 78B harness pin 35 at the ECM (Cruise enable)
-Run one wire from the fairing switch Black/Green to ground (connected to harness 21A pin 5 in the normal FLHT wiring diagram)

I've run through it a couple of times and haven't found any other wires that are needed for the cruise. What I've read online from other people is that you need to replace all your harness's and slice thing left and right, but according the the factory manuals these are the only involved wires and as long as there are no other wires connected in their place (there shouldn't be if the bike was done according to the manual) this is all you'd have to do.

Can anyone weigh in on this for me and give me a solid response on whether or not this is really this easy?

thanks

Old 03-22-2012, 09:34 PM
gearedforacure
Cruiser

I can tell you it can be done. My dealer did it as part of the sale of my bike.

It was a huge back and forth about it, they said they could/couldn't/could/couldn't/could.

In the end they said having a guy who had apparently done it on an 08 (and decided they would never do it again), but not an 09 that it took them about 4 hours on my 09. He said he could do it in an hour the next time.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:00 PM
simplewell
Stage IV
Default apparently I was right

I gave Dave at cruise mounts a call and it turns out I was right, except one small detail, I shorted myself a 12v input, the wires that connect between the fairing switch and handlebar switch should connect to the 12v O/W from pin 5 on harness 1A. Other than that Dave said I hit everything on the head.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:46 PM
amsc95
Stage II
Default 2011 flhp

Has anyone had electronic cruise installed on a 2011 FLHP ?? I am told it cant be done.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:30 AM
LeadSSled
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by amsc95
Has anyone had electronic cruise installed on a 2011 FLHP ?? I am told it cant be done.
Cuisemount has everything that you need to do it. You can do the wiring yourself like the original poster if you are adept at that king of thing, but the Cruisemount harness is the easiest way to add cruise to a police bike.
http://www.cruisemount.com/roadking.html

Since your bike is TBW, all you need to do is to have the cruise feature activated in the ECM by the dealer after you install switches and the wiring.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:46 AM
mrwatson75
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did it on my 2010 with the cruisemount kit..very straightforward..

Old 02-10-2013, 09:57 AM
simplewell
Stage IV
Default Cruise on 2011

I have a 2009 FLHTP and from what I remember I have the worst lucky for cruise control because I'm missing harnesses and the like. I built mine from scratch (it was much simpler than I thought it was thanks to the fly by wire).

If you have done the smart thing and purchased the maintenance manual for your bike (I did and have never regretted it) you've got the wiring schematics and you could simply figure the wiring out, I think it was only 5 wires or so. I added two buttons and one toggle switch in one of the empty fairing pockets where a gauge would be.

If you don't have the stuff I can dig mine up (wiring mark ups and notes from the process) and send them to you probably. The long and short is that you'll need the pins for your ECU because you'll be missing the wires and pins on that side. If you can find a mechanic at your local dealer or a friend who has a crimper you can you, what's easier is finding a mechanic who just so happens to have some wire ends with the correct plugs on them that you can splice into longer wires and just install into the adapter. Shoot me a PM and/or an email (simplewell@gmail.com) if you need a hand and I'll do what I can to help you out.

convertisseur youtube