Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP, my engine losses oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 10:55 PM
busted knucles
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP, my engine losses oil pressure

i am a new HD owner. I recently bought an 06 Road Glide, 19k miles with a big bore 95 cid engine. 257 cams, updated cam plate and oil pump with oil controlled chain tentioners. Cam bearing failed and ruined the cases and crankshaft. It was completely rebiult by J W SHelby(retired and moved to Florida). Bike had been sitting for 18 months. and had 150 miles on it when i bought it. Ive put another 500 on it. I rode kinda easy at first and didnt notice the problem. Oil pressure at idle with a manual gauge, operating temp is 20 psi. cold is 32. However, with a cold or warmed up engine, on acceleration only, the oil pressure drops to 9 or 10 psi. this bike has a gauge on the dash so i noticed it fall. Ive been an auto tech for 31 years and this worrys me considerably. I removed the sender and installed a snap-on 100 psi gauge. so, my buddy is also an auto tech and an avid harley guy. he has all the special tools for repairing the engine, and a harley shop manual. we pulled the cam plate and cams with it. inspected the oil pump and found a grove in the cam plate where the oil pump rides. and a noticable damaged spot on the oil pump rotor. obviously a problem. But no signs of metal in the oil or in the tight spots. we checked with a white paper towel. So we ran down to HD and bought a new set-up. $499 and a bearing and gasket set. I watched as he used the tools to press the cams out and the bearings and so fourth. everything back as it should be, new oil pump and brgs and plate. assembled in clean oil, in time, new oil and filter, 20-50 HD, high partical filter with check valve. primed the engine before start up. SAME PROBLEM. It losses oil pressure on acceleration. no noticable noises, but it has a thunder header so its kinda loud. I want to keep this bike. but need it fixed if you have any ideas. I would really appreciate you guys help. Thanks, Steve

Last edited by busted knucles; 05-23-2012 at 10:59 PM. Reason: We used the oil pump alignment screws as manual stated. to prevent same damage to oil pump rotor and plate.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:50 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

I don't usually believe in following the pack and frankly, I don't think that crankshaft run out is as big a deal as so many try to make it out to be. However, in your case based on what you have described, I would check it. Do yourself a favor though and get good information on line or from a competent mechanic on how to properly check it. Too many check it incorrectly which leads to false results.

Originally Posted by busted knucles
i am a new HD owner. I recently bought an 06 Road Glide, 19k miles with a big bore 95 cid engine. 257 cams, updated cam plate and oil pump with oil controlled chain tentioners. Cam bearing failed and ruined the cases and crankshaft. It was completely rebiult by J W SHelby(retired and moved to Florida). Bike had been sitting for 18 months. and had 150 miles on it when i bought it. Ive put another 500 on it. I rode kinda easy at first and didnt notice the problem. Oil pressure at idle with a manual gauge, operating temp is 20 psi. cold is 32. However, with a cold or warmed up engine, on acceleration only, the oil pressure drops to 9 or 10 psi. this bike has a gauge on the dash so i noticed it fall. Ive been an auto tech for 31 years and this worrys me considerably. I removed the sender and installed a snap-on 100 psi gauge. so, my buddy is also an auto tech and an avid harley guy. he has all the special tools for repairing the engine, and a harley shop manual. we pulled the cam plate and cams with it. inspected the oil pump and found a grove in the cam plate where the oil pump rides. and a noticable damaged spot on the oil pump rotor. obviously a problem. But no signs of metal in the oil or in the tight spots. we checked with a white paper towel. So we ran down to HD and bought a new set-up. $499 and a bearing and gasket set. I watched as he used the tools to press the cams out and the bearings and so fourth. everything back as it should be, new oil pump and brgs and plate. assembled in clean oil, in time, new oil and filter, 20-50 HD, high partical filter with check valve. primed the engine before start up. SAME PROBLEM. It losses oil pressure on acceleration. no noticable noises, but it has a thunder header so its kinda loud. I want to keep this bike. but need it fixed if you have any ideas. I would really appreciate you guys help. Thanks, Steve

Old 05-24-2012, 09:44 PM
busted knucles
Stage II

ok, found it!! what is harder to diagnose than a mechanical problem?? A MAN MADE problem. The IDIOT that installed the oil pan, after cleaning it, thank you, used the wrong pan gasket. The gasket he used did not have gasket material around the area for the pick-up tube, hence it was sucking air on acceleration cause the oil was being hurled to the back of the pan from all the G Forces of the mighty 95 cid.. it woulda been nice if we thought of that before the new oil pump was tried. thanks for the reply Sir.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:48 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The main thing is you got it sorted and did it yourselves (with your bud)! Imagine the labor costs if you would have rolled over and took it in for diagnosis.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:49 PM
springer3
Tourer

I know you spent money you didnt want to but your motor was safe,no metal and you know you wont have an oil pump fail now!!So the point is your motor is good and riding season has just started!!!Good riding..

Old 05-24-2012, 10:55 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad problem solved, but sounded as if the cam pate and oil pump rotor had issues. At any rate enjoy ride season!

Old 05-25-2012, 11:38 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Glad you got er fixed! now go ride!

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone: