Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Dynamics Signal Light LED Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:53 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Custom Dynamics Signal Light LED Kit

Good news first: The Custom Dynamics "kit" consisting of four 48 LED clusters with load equalizer is terrific. On the RG Customs that lack the center light like mine and the Ultras, you (obviously) will NOT get the same intensity as you would with a Bright *** BAL-1 tail light, but they look great and are very substantially brighter than stock. I opted for the front signals that have the outer 24 LEDs white as running lights that signal with (only yellow) 24 LEDs. The running lights are so bright that they clearly add extra visibility to to my new RG headlights even set on brights! Amazing.

Now for the rest of the story: As has been reported, the folks at CD are very friendly and try to be very helpful. In my case that was not helpful enough. The miserable set of instructions printed on paper about the size that would hold a stick of gum is written in a microscopic font. I could read it easily, but most of my friends would be struggling with glasses on. On the website, the exact set of instructions is printed in a very large font and is clearly legible. Unfortunately, it is totally incorrect. Without as much as a diagram, the customer gets this:

1. Locate connector block for taillight/turn signals located under left side panel on 2010 FLHX or under seat on Road Glide models.
2. Unplug main harness connector from fender harness connector.
3. Plug Signal Stabilizer™ in between these two connector
s. Mount Signal Stabilizer in secure location.
4. Connect Red wire from Signal Stabilizer to Positive of battery through 3 amp fuse.
5. Attach Black wire with terminal ring from Signal Stabilizer™ to NEGATIVE of battery.
6. Test signals for proper operation. Test Alarm for proper operation, if equipped.

OK, for starters, at least on a 2013 FLTRX, the module is NOT LOCATED UNDER THE SEAT!!! The bike is brand new. I had my son helping me, flashlights, overhead lighting, we had various modules unplugged, the entire battery out and sitting on the floor, etc. The scoot looked like it was being dismantled to sell on eBay piece by piece!

I called CD and spoke to both a male and a female at different times, one even nicer than the other. After the tenth statement like "Are you sure you looked carefully under the seat?...it's right next to the battery-the closest one", and my tenth, "Are you sure it's not under the side covers?" I realized that they were not able to help me in the slightest. Well about an hour later, the module was located: at the furthest possible point from the battery, at the very bottom of the left side, underneath the fuse box under the side cover. Furthermore, it was virtually inaccessible and had to be pried out after cutting away the straps which secured it between a black steel frame member and the fuse box. OK, I installed the harness, which took like 10 seconds at this point. You should have seen my sorry self put it all back, having to re- plug in all the other modules under the seat and left side cover, and remount the battery tender and heated gear pigtails! Gee! You'd think this great outfit (who manufactures very nice items and employs really friendly people) would at least KNOW where the harness was and supply even a basic drawing. OK, it's over...lights are great!

Old 10-17-2012, 10:03 PM
2004Sierra
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just installed the Custom Dynamics Led Turn Signal Kit on my Road King tonight.

I am impressed with the kit, easy install and very, very bright. They look great with my BAL-1 Bright *** Light.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:07 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2004Sierra
I just installed the Custom Dynamics Led Turn Signal Kit on my Road King tonight.

I am impressed with the kit, easy install and very, very bright. They look great with my BAL-1 Bright *** Light.

Tailgaters WILL get radiation burns!

Old 10-17-2012, 10:14 PM
2004Sierra
Road Master

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
Tailgaters WILL get radiation burns!

LOL...Funny you say that.

After the install I called my wife outside to show her the red glow on the ground reaching about 6 feet behind the bike. I am using a run/stop/turn module also.

I think you could at least get a tan by standing behind it. LOL

Last edited by 2004Sierra; 10-17-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:46 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member

LOL...Funny you say that.

After the install I called my wife outside to show her the red glow on the ground reaching about 6 feet behind the bike. I am using a run/stop/turn module also.

I think you could at least get a tan by standing behind it. LOL

Better a tan than a Van!!!

Old 10-19-2012, 03:12 PM
1pkraft
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been looking to upgrade the lights on wife's '13 Street Glide. I'm looking at the CD web site but not sure I'm finding the right kit. Do you have the part number?

Old 10-19-2012, 03:15 PM
NMNSG08
Road Captain

I really like my custom dynamic led turn signa lights.I have the ones with the dynamic ring,makes the fronts look real cool.I also have thier smoked led tail light.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:33 PM
2004Sierra
Road Master

Originally Posted by 1pkraft
I've been looking to upgrade the lights on wife's '13 Street Glide. I'm looking at the CD web site but not sure I'm finding the right kit. Do you have the part number?

2013 Street Glide would be part # GEN200-KIT-1157 $199.95

Old 10-19-2012, 07:23 PM
SoCalMike
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Bummer. There's been more than a thread or two that's talked about this, and where the harness is located, and the trials of getting it all back in. And I know it's after the fact, but Biketronics makes a load equalizer that just plugs into the harness, no power required. I did the same thing, bought the kit w/equalizer from Custom Dynamics and had most of the same frustrations. It was after the fact someone mentioned Biketronics. It would save some hassle, so if I need to replace it, Biketronics. And I still worry my side cover is going to pop off with all that crap under there now.

They sure are nice when they're done through, aren't they?! Great investment.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:33 PM
1pkraft
Cruiser

2013 Street Glide would be part # GEN200-KIT-1157 $199.95

Thanks