Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:05 PM
CharruaHD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shocks

I just got a set of used street glide shocks of ebay. Since I am new to the air shocks is it normal for the shocks to leak oil. They are leaking from the top connection/vavle. Would I need to refill the oil?

These will be going on a 09 Road King

Old 11-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

A tiny bit of oil is normal if the air pressure was released from these valves.

When reducing pressure from installed shocks, it is recommended to pump in a little fresh air first, then bleeding the excessive air. Keeps oil from getting into pump.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:44 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

you may have a problem ..if the previous owner allowed much of the oil to leak...the smart thing is to drain and refill both shocks with correct amount of oil and the grade of your choice.

you can find instructions on the forums by searching

removed shocks should be sealed and stored upright

if only a tiny amount of oil has leaked, fine... but if unsealed by P/O you won't know.

mike

Old 11-07-2012, 08:54 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

They should have been plugged before they were even removed from the other bike to keep fromm losing any oil. How can you possibly know how much has leaked out? I'd completely drain both of them and refil with Amsoil 10W shock therapy if they are pre-09 shocks , if they are 09 up shocks the 10w will be too heavy, you will have to experiment with fluid. I ended up about 60% 5w and 40% 10w Amsoil on my brothers 09. There are some threads on here about tweaking OEM shocks.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:14 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

you can also use ATF. its like 7.5 wt

Old 11-07-2012, 11:33 PM
JerryS63
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to piggy back this thread. How much air is it normal for shocks to lose over time. Had them at 47psi for riding 2 up on a 09 RKC. That was a month a go rode the other day and bottomed out the GF on a bump. Checks shocks and they showed 40 PSI. We 2 up with gear are probably caring close to 500lb. I'm a big guy. I want to keep her riding but the bottoming out is a bif deal at this point. If this leakage is normal I'll just have to check it more often. If not will want to get it fixed.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:41 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

a month for 7 psi? pretty normal. check it every couple weeks, same as your tires

Old 11-08-2012, 04:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by stupid_rope
a month for 7 psi? pretty normal. check it every couple weeks, same as your tires
The amount of air in them is very small, so big changes in weather can affect them as well. If it is colder now than when you last checked them that will account for some of the lost pressure.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:01 AM
CharruaHD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dam guys thanks for all the replies. i forgot to subscribe to thread and thought i was left out in the cold. The Shocks came off an 11' Street Glide there was noticable leakage but if that is normal then its ok. I was worried about them being bad. I'm gonna slap them on the bike this weekend and see how she rides. I need to do a bit more research on this as I ride 2 up alot and dont want to compromise the comfort of the ride then again it is sitting up too high...when I come to a stop its a hassle everytime. So maybe using better or will let me have my cake and lick it to.

thanks again for all the help

Old 11-08-2012, 01:53 PM
JerryS63
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does draining oil and refilling with a heavier oil make them handle heavier load better or just make them siffer over all. Don't want to ruin the ride but don't want to bottom or ruff bridge transitions either.

Quick Reply: Shocks